740 front suspention rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 740 front suspention rebuild questions

Hi all. I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have a 91 740 wagon non turbo that needs brakes and suspension all around. Brakes and rear shocks are pretty simple for me, but I have questions about rebuilding the front struts.

What rubber or wear parts would I need to get besides the obvious strut insert? I live in the south (New Orleans) and there are just not alot of older Volvo's down here so parts can be a problem locally. I plan to just order everything but I want to make sure I have what I need when I get down too it. The car is a daily driver and I would hate to have it up on stands and apart only to find out I need some three dollar rubber bit.

I saw on a guide (Swedishbricks) that one person recommended replacing ball joints and control arm bushings.

I am unaware of the actual vehicle mileage as the speedometer and odometer have never worked since Ive owned the car. ODO stopped at 108,000. I drive the car daily but do not put many miles on it. New Orleans is a small town.

Any information or guidance on the rebuild of the struts would be greatly appreciated. I would rather order parts I don't need and send them back rather than have to wait on them.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:59 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

new shocks front and rear are nearly always a good idea, the boge/sachs standard shocks are really quite good, and unless you plan to race the car on a track, anything stiffer will just give you a harsher ride.

if you're replacing the front strut carts, for sure replace the top strut mount, and use a real Volvo one, the no-name replacements are awful.

there's a double cone bushing in the front of the 740/940 (not on a 240) that connects the lower trailing arm to the control arm, replacing this will significantly tighten up the front end if its feeling vague. if your anti-sway bar bushings are worn, the front end will rattle on bumps, they are pretty easy to replace.

I'd only replace ball joints and tie rod ends if they are actually worn, a wheel alignment shop should be able to inspect these and tell you. worn tie rod ends will cause sloppy toe-in and steering slap, note there's another inner set under the bellows at the end of the steering rack

the rear end has a pile of bushings, they are all pretty durable, and even if they are all badly worn, the car still drives OK, but if you're feeling klunks in the rear when you transition on/off the throttle or wagging the car left/right, its possible some are quite worn, and replacing them will definitely tighten it up and give you that new car ride. a rear clunk on a left-right waggle is probably the panhard rod bushings, while fore-aft klunks on throttle on/off could be any number, including the thrust bars, main trailing arms, etc.