87 740 Turbo - More Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 740 Turbo - More Problems

1. To start I'm having an issue with one of the cables on the circular throttle thing (sorry, can't think of what it's called) coming off all the time. I was apparently driving without it the entire time until I noticed it a week or two ago while looking around the engine. It's the cable all the way in that has an end on it that you put through a hole in the circular thing at the bottom. I put it through correctly but noticed it has some slack. So tonight I was looking around the engine and noticed that it had come off again.

My question is, what exactly does this cable do, and how essential is it? I can easily make it so it stays but I'm curious because it doesn't seem to effect the engine either way. On the same topic what does the first cable that's hooked into the the rubber vacuum thing (again, couldn't even begin to tell you what it is) do?

2. The other night I decided to finally take off the pcv (or whatever the hell it's supposed to be on the turbo model). I let it soak in gasoline for a bit which freed it up, then let it sit for another hour. After the hour I took it out of the gas and it flowed fine but I didn't hear any rattling. I figured it was fine so I made a gasket (Autozone was no help in figuring out what it is so I could buy a gasket), put some Indian head sealant on it, then put it all back on.

What is the specific name of the part? And was I supposed to hear it rattle (there's very little information I could find about it so I figured it wasn't supposed to)?

After I put it back on it seemed to drive a little better and it got rid of the stalling problem I had backing up in the morning, but that was short lived. I'm guessing my entire system is clogged with crap still though, it loves to crap oil out of the oil cap (which I'm hoping now is just an oil cap problem). The other downside is it also brought my parked idle up to 2k, which brings me to another problem.

3. Idle, how is it adjusted? I've seen different things but it's another problem that doesn't seem to have too much helpful information out there for. I know you're supposed to ground some blue/white wire, then mess with the idle adjustment ****, but that is where things get complicated. I have an open connector in the same place as the supposed blue/white wire, the only problem being the wires are yellow and another color I can't remember. Also if the idle adjustment **** is all the way to the right, how are you supposed to adjust it any lower? I'm idling parked at 2k with the **** all the way to the right, and if I go left it just gets higher.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 PM

1/3. This is the throttle linkage, and the other end is the cruise control (the rubber vacuum thing). I think you have that whole thing screwed up and that's the reason you are at 2k RPM at idle. The throttle position switch (wires) cannnot compensate if the linkage is so far out of adjustment.

2. PCV- the Volvo PCV does not rattle, sounds like you might have cleaned it OK. Did you clean the oil separator, the large plastic canister under the intake manifold or just the pipe on top between the 3rd and 4th runner? If you did not get to the separator though, you might still have a blow problem.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 AM

Yeah that's what I was talking about, was a huge pain in the ***. Is there an actual PCV somewhere or is the oil separator the only thing. I've heard the turbo models don't have a PCV. And is the oil separator also the flame trap or is that something else?

How would I go about adjusting everything to be in the correct position? That other line I was talking about is pulled rather than pulling like the throttle linkage does.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barracuda
1. To start I'm having an issue ... had come off again.
Transmission kick down cable. Is it adjusted all the way to the limits? Because you can screw them out some and take up about a half inch of slack.

My question is, what exactly does this cable.... do?
Cruise control as said.

2. The other night I ... back on.
What is the specific name of the part? And was I supposed to hear it rattle (there's very little information I could find about it so I figured it wasn't supposed to)?
http://www.fcpgroton.com/images/prod...ge/1306398.JPG are you talking about that or this http://www.fcpgroton.com/images/prod...ge/1332660.jpg

After I put it back...problem.
Are all your vacuum hoses hooked up?

3. Idle, how is .... gets higher.
The **** as you said, but i think that you are getting air after the throttle body in order for it to be that high. I think that one of your vacuum hoses may have came off.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by adub96
Transmission kick down cable. Is it adjusted all the way to the limits? Because you can screw them out some and take up about a half inch of slack.
I'm not sure, all I know is that when it's hooked up it's not completely taught, like it needs to be adjusted back so that it will be pulled taught.

The first one

Originally Posted by adub96
Are all your vacuum hoses hooked up?
I'm pretty sure they are, although I'm not 100% they're correctly hooked up, I'll have to take some pictures.

On the subject of vacuum what exactly is the purpose of that black cylinder near the battery with vacuum lines hooked to it. Is there any maintenance that needs to be done with it, like a filter inside or it becoming clogged?

Sorry I have so many stupid questions but I'm not used to newer cars, let alone Volvos with their wacky stuff

Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 PM

I took some pictures of the vacuum lines along with a few other things, hope you can help me out. All pictures are clickable for 1600x1200

I found this with just the two orange lines connected. With the car on I don't remember feeling any vacuum even after I cleaned the T connector. The black line wasn't connected to anything and it just reaches so I hooked it up figuring that's where it's supposed to go.

The one without anything on it used to have a plug on it that recently fell off. It was idling high long before that came off.

The wire I was referencing, also fell out again, lol.

The rednecks that used to own it did something weird where If I turn the air con on it doesn't blow cold until I flick a switch that they installed in the dash. Air also only works at 4. That plug is presumably off due to the modification, but should I put it back on? And if so which way does it go and where does the other black wire go, on the distributor?

My Turbo always seems to have a layer like that. I don't know if it's from the oil cap leaking or something with the turbo but it doesn't look right, anything I should be worried about. On the same note when I take off my intake lines I find oil in them, where is that coming from and how big of a deal is it? I know it can't be good, it eats through the rubber on the intake lines, hence the tape on the one connected to the turbo. Would it be fine to replace that with a Spectre connector or does it need to be more flexible?

Engine shot for the hell of it

Where does this go and what is it? I found it underneath the TB but it wasn't connected to anything like it should be judging from the bracket. There's nothing connected to it but with a cover I can't imagine what it would be used for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this 740 is one damn hard puzzle to solve.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM

The cable between your fingers is the trans shift cable.Pic#5 that plugs into the low pressure switch on the side of the dryer.The last pic,that bolts to the rear nut on the valve cover.I think it is a timing mark sender,not sure.

Dan

Attached Thumbnails 87 740 Turbo - More Problems-8013.jpg  

Last edited by TURBO 245; 01-12-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: changed pic
Old 01-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans kick cable

Mine has an issue where the trans kick down cable pulls out a little so the outter cable gets caught on the fitting making it shift at high rpms. I just have to settle it down into the fitting correctly and all is good. I finally put a tiewrap around the cable to a local heater hose to hold it at a better angle so it will find its home. So far so good. Get is set up and you will be fine assuming it is a good cable and not in need of lubrication etc.

Mark

Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 PM

I finally got the cable to stay, noticed that my pedal was a lot harder, but after a ton of adjustments to the cable It was still shifting at too high revs and downshifting when I barely touched the pedal so I took it off. I think all of my cable adjustments must be wrong, going to check my Hanes manual.

I also think my motor is full of sludge. Long story short, was low on oil, put in half a quart, at bottom of cross hatched area, put in other half, drove home, oil leaking out of my oil cap, dipstick still says it's at the bottom of the cross hatched area. I'm thinking of doing a motor flush but I'm wondering if that's a safe thing to do. I've heard bad things about motor flushes but I don't know if it's bad for a Volvo or not.