87 Volvo 740 Turbo 2.3 No Spark! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Volvo 740 Turbo 2.3 No Spark! Help!

Ok, so here is the deal. I have a 2.3 turbo engine out of 94 in my 87 740 turbo. Everything was perfect until i blew a heater hose and ended up cooking the head. 550 bucks later after the head was straightened and mechined back to true and all new valves put in and ready to rock, we got the head back in and all good to go but NOW I have no spark. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I have been without my car for 6 months now and its killing me to be so close! Any idea's? It does have an aftermarket MSD ignition coil and a boost controler. I seem to be getting 12v at the coil. It turns over perfect just no spark. I noticed it when it wouldn't light up the timing light. I tried running 12v direct to see if i could by pass and it still had NO spark. PLEASE any help would be greatly appriciated! The oil and cylinders were FULL of water when we got the old head off and it was 18,000 thousands warped on the head. could it have taken a sensor out when the head went?

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, was up burning the midnight oil until the sun came up trying to get my baby running. I took the distributor apart and cleaned the whole thing. Checked on the wires for the hall sensor and they are in tact. got it back in the car and still no spark. I tried jumping 2 of the 3 leads on the plug that plugs into the hall to bypass it and see if I would get spark from the coil. Ignition off, jumped the 2 leads and turned ignition on and pulled the jumper. From what I have read, that should have sent a spark from the coil. still nothing. I have checked the coil and with ignition ON i have 12v to primary leads on the coil. I did a resistance test and its well within specs. So, I am thinking that it is the power stage. Autozone sells it for 86 bucks. It looks like it is the original one that came on the car back in 87 and 300k miles ago. Is there anyway to test it? Is there anything else that it could be? I did cook the head and worped it 18,000 and needed all new valves. Could I have cooked some sensors too?

Any thought?? Advice? Things to check? I am VERY limited on funds so I need to be SURE before I go out and buy. Also, is it wise to get one from a dismantler?

UPDATE: I did go to pick and pull and got another power stage and it looks good to me. Still no spark. I am at my whits end and I am getting no help from the other boards. I found this one today and I hope you guys can help!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much I miss my baby and I need her running again.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Default RE: 87 Volvo 740 Turbo 2.3 No Spark! Help!

You COULD have cooked other stuff too... I highly recommend junkyards, especially the ones where you pull your own-I can't see why anyone would pay the crazy new car parts prices when the used usually are fine-RECYCLE!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:38 PM

the stereo was stolen while it was down. could that have caused anything to look at?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 PM

If the power stage and ignition coil are fine, then it is most likely the Hall sensor in the distributor. The easiest way to check if this is so is to pull out the relay tray in back of the ashtray. Remove the fuel injection relay and pry off the white cover. Then re-insert the relay into the socket. One of the electromagnetic switches (those copper coils) will close at ignition "On" while the other switch remains open. Both should close at ignition "Start." If the other one does not close at ignition "Start," then the most likely culprit is the Hall sensor (or, it could be no feed current to the Hall sensor).