88 740 issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 88 740 issues

Howdy everyone... Im new here so just wanted to say Hello before i got down to bizz!..

HELLO!

about a month ago i bought my first Volvo.. DO NOT REGRET at all I love it.. <<<< was a Chevy, Pontiac and Dodge lover>>>>. she runs GREAT for an 88, Nothing really wrong with her but busted tail lights that i put light tape over But im trying to find the Bulb holders for the Brake light... and im not paying 26 dollars for one either so if anyone has a site with cheaper parts PLEASE help me out... the only other major issue is the Sunroof... It opened for the first few days and even closed imagine that LOL.. then It got stuck OPEN why is it when a sunroof gets stuck it gets stuck OPEN lol.. when i hit the button it just clicks.. I know NOTHING about sunroofs.. Someone thought it was maybe the gears on the motor? Is that possible? Now is there any way to CLOSE it manually? I have plastic covers cardboard over it right now keeps out the rain and for the most part the wind.. My dad said some older cars have a release hatch but i couldn’t find it... PLEASE if anyone has any ideas LET ME KNOW PLEASEE!! Also Does anyone’s engine NOT HEAT UP? lol mine is always cool. would that cause my heater not to warm up all that much and it takes like 45 mins to feel any hot air LOL... thanks all for any input you might have!!!
~Me~

Old 03-02-2009, 12:59 PM

The sunroof can be closed manually. Drop the plastic cover above your head between the two visors, two screws hold it, probably small TORX type. Do you have the tool kit that comes with the car? If you do, the torx bits should be in the screwdriver handle. Anyway, once the cover is off just turn the screw in the plate and it will close the roof.
Bulb holders are plentiful in junkyards if you have any around where you live. Cost next to nothing. I have some if you can't get any.
Heater may be off due to a type of thermostat you have. If it waits to open until the engine is really hot, this may take some time in the winter... or change the thermostat.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Default Sunroof

I looked where you are talking about for the sunroof I only see what looks like a motor... Where would I find the plate with the screw in it? there wasnt a white plastic cover looks like maybe soomeone took it off already so its probably sending me through a loop and no i dont got the tool box i got her for 600 bucks but i did get two extra tires! lol. and Ill look at pick a part and see if they got any bulb holders thanks!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM

If there is no motor whirring when you try to close the sunroof, then it is most likely the switch. Replace it or clean it. Go to www.stepbystepvolvo.com for instructions for both. The switch terminals corrode easily.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 PM

Mybabythe, I have the same issue. Take off the plastic piece and then take a flat head screw driver and stick in the small hole on the sunroof motor apply force onto the screw driver and crank the sunroof closed. You can see theres a place to fit a flat head screw driver so it should be self explanitory, you can also pull on the sunroof while your cranking it shut with the screw driver. The only thing I would say is buy a new sunroof motor .. My 88 740 has the same issue.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 PM

Also mybabythe, you should be able to crank the sunroof forward, and then press the button and you might get lucky and it'll close. Basicly Mybabythe740, you need to get out and just work on the car, and find out what you have to deal with. Try greasing the track REALLY good (you can simply crank it closed if it doesn't fix it) If all else fails pickup a sunroof motor, you should be able to pick one up at a pullapart in Nashville or Knoxville, TN

Last edited by Bradhobbs; 03-03-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Fredbyte, its NOT the switch, its perfectly fine. The motor or gears is simply either worn out or the track needs a good greasing.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 PM

It is extremely rare for the motor to be bad! Usually the roof is stuck, dried up on the tracks due to non use or non maintenance.
Lube'm up!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 PM

Tedv, is there like a way to grease the gears inside of the motor? Because with mine it'll go back 1/4 of the way get stuck, I crank it back a bit and the motor will open it 1/4 more and then it'll get stuck, crank it back more, then the button will open the rest of it. Any ideas?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Talking Thank For your help

I actually was able to get out to my car yesterday < I have a 2 year old and a 2 month old.. getting to work on my car is hard lol> I found where yall where talking about actually there was this little black button in the middle of the screw when I pushed the screw driver in , Ok actually the butter knife LMAO... it clicked.. i didnt know if i needed to hold the sunroof switch while i cranked it shut so i hit and and much to my surprise SHE CLOSED ALL ON HER OWN! made me very happy lol so thanks guys SO MUCH!