91 740 volvo check engine light after oil replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 91 740 volvo check engine light after oil replacement

Hello everyone,

I have a 91 740 volvo on which I change the oil myself.

In the last refill, I think I might have added extra oil (more than the limit).

After I started the car, i got the check engine light.

I want to correlate my action to the car behavior , so I would appreciate if anyone can throw light on whether check engine light can come up when extra oil is in the engine.

What would be the solution for this?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the oil change, no way possible. Have you driven it since you changed the oil, or just run it in the driveway?

Regards, Andrew.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Typhoon
It's not the oil change, no way possible. Have you driven it since you changed the oil, or just run it in the driveway?

Regards, Andrew.
Yes, I have driven around 150 miles after the oil chance and it seems to be working nicely, except that it appears to have lost some power.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

how much extra oil is in there? why don't just drain it, reset the light and see? a little oil should not set off the light but a lot? may be... some cars, like newer vws warn againts too much oil...

Old 01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you know how to read the codes in the ECU? If you can do this we would have a code to see where the problem is. Also when you check the oil how high is it up on the stick. How much oil did you add in when you changed it. 4 quarts , 5 quarts more? Give us some info so we can see what the problem is.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too much oil will not set a check engine light, since it's not electrical... the only thing that will set a check engine light, is some kind of electrical sensor giving the ecu information outside of it's normal ranges...

Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by lev
how much extra oil is in there? why don't just drain it, reset the light and see? a little oil should not set off the light but a lot? may be... some cars, like newer vws warn againts too much oil...
I think I might have poured about 0.75 quart over the prescribed limits?

How do I reset the check engine light for 1991 volvo 740?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vipul_vips
I think I might have poured about 0.75 quart over the prescribed limits?

How do I reset the check engine light for 1991 volvo 740?

The Internet is your friend. Also 3/4 of a quart should not be a problem but I would remove it .

Customer, under the hood on the left strut tower there is a black box with a ground lead. for engine codes insert ground lead into socket #2 turn the key on press the black button on the box and hold for 1-3 secs. the red led will flash a 3 digit code. for example 1 pause 2 pause 1. press the button again and it will flash the next code, repeat till the first code flashes again. for the ignition system insert ground lead into socket #6 and repeat same procedure.

To reset the codes hold the button down for 5+ seconds and then release it. As soon a the LED lights press and hold the button for 5-10 seconds and then release. To check if codes are removed press the botton for 1 second and release. The LED should now light a 1-1-1 code which is what you get when all codes are cleared. This should get rid of your CEL until the problem comes back and resets a code.

Read the codes and write them down and let us know what you find.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

or you could disconnect the battery for a couple of hours... this should reset the "cel".

Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Cool Re: Fix Check engine light

Well, I have never seen check engine light turning on due to excess oil fill; I guess you messed up something else too.

As recommended by other members, try to read the check engine light code, and I'm pretty sure you'll discover that the reason is something else - not the excess oil fill-up!

Hope it helps

Originally Posted by vipul_vips
Hello everyone,

I have a 91 740 volvo on which I change the oil myself.

In the last refill, I think I might have added extra oil (more than the limit).

After I started the car, i got the check engine light.

I want to correlate my action to the car behavior , so I would appreciate if anyone can throw light on whether check engine light can come up when extra oil is in the engine.

What would be the solution for this?