AC takes forever to cool

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC takes forever to cool

I have a 90 Volvo 240. The AC has never really been that great. 2 years ago the compressor and other components were replaced. The shop did not replace the condensor or the Evaportator coil. They basically did the conversion 134a.

This year I took it to a good shop ask them to dump the system and check for leaks and refill. Well I picked it up and was told no leaks and system was ready to go. It takes forever for it to start cooling. When I hit the road I have to drive approx. 25 miles before it seems to cool.

i went back to the shop and asked them about it. I was told welll thats 134a for ya, he said, "Your system is designed for R12 it will never cool that great

I came home and put a gauge on the low side and got reading of 34 lbs. Just curious of any thoughts on making the system better. Yesterday it was 82 temp. outside and the AC was blowing 50 degrees. Thats on highway running on max. Curious if different freon would help. Have read about R12A? Dont mistake R12A for the old R12. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 PM

I can only tell you what I have been told by others. Basically the a/c system on 240 Volvos was very poor. That was the sole reason I did not buy one as I live in Arizona where it's over 100 degrees all summer. On the 740, the system is supposed to be a better design, and on the 940 better still. If you need good a/c, switch to a newer Volvo with a factory 134a system.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Default thats tought but probably truth

I wish I knew that before I completely went thru this car on end to the other. Engine is untouched but baskically everything else fixed and redone. including my seats. Anyway, I live in missouri its very huimid here I do alot of driving in summer. Thanks for your input. So next question is this does anybody have a 240 with really cold AC that lives in hot climate? If so what did you do to the system. Ive read that a aux. pusher fan would help on the condensor.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

you need to research how to upgrade from an R12 system to a 134A system, starting with moving to a compressor designed for 134A. One of the retrofit problems is that the molecules in R12 are much larger than in 134A, so the upgrade would include replacing all the o-rings (ie at the evaporator, condensor etc). Simply charging the old system with 134A will likely bleed out in short order.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You should be able to get 40-45* temps at the center ducts with 134a. You should also wire your elect fan to turn on when you turn the AC on. Also change the orifice valve and flush the system and have it leak tested and recharged. The only way to improve the system is to either go back to R12 or replace the condenser and evaporator with larger units.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by beleive
I wish I knew that before I completely went thru this car on end to the other. Engine is untouched but baskically everything else fixed and redone. including my seats. Anyway, I live in missouri its very huimid here I do alot of driving in summer. Thanks for your input. So next question is this does anybody have a 240 with really cold AC that lives in hot climate? If so what did you do to the system. Ive read that a aux. pusher fan would help on the condensor.
I have a 134A conversion form R12 and I got mine pretty cold (still not as great as my wife 2014 Honda but darn close)

First, I replaced the Receiver/Dryer with a larger "universal one" that is a pound and a half larger than the factory one (this was a bit too big but ehh, whatever)

next made sure it was leak free and put it the AC system oil (added an ounce extra for the larger receiver/dryer)

put in high quality 134A (most of what you get at the store and everything a shop has is recycled and cleaned...get fresh stuff its worth while)

make sure its not the crap with UV dye and leak stop because that just fills the place of the 134A and doesn't do anything for cooling

the last thing I did was put an electric radiator fan where my auxiliary cooling fan was, wired up a switch and a standard relay so that I can have it on whenever I want.

The biggest help was the high quality pure 134A and the auxiliary cooling fan (ps: I used an electric radiator fan rather than the auxiliary cooling fan because it pushes way way more air you need a 14" fan)

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Default thanks for the info

I believe it was filled with the 134a with dye and stop leak. So thats a problem. Im gonna pick up a bigger dyer and I believe I can fill it my self. I have some gauges and have access to a vacuum pump. I have a 16 inch electric fan I was planning install. I will see if I can find pure 134a. Thanks for the help and advice. Will keep you posted.