Anyone used Steel Seal??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used Steel Seal??

So the head gasket is GONE in my 88 240. All the tell tale signs are there...white water vapor comin out the exhaust, water in oil, exhaust gas scent in coolant reservoir, overheating, you name it.

Heard of a product called "Steel Seal", they laud themselves as being "head gasket repair in a bottle" or something like that. Considering I only paid $800 for this car, and already have $500 worth of new parts in it, I'm hesitant to invest my time into properly removing the head for a new gasket. Anyone ever use it, or have firsthand knowledge of someone who has??? Internet reviews from people I don't know at all are hard to trust.

Thanks guys!!!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:39 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't believe everything you see in the pop-ups.
A head gasket repair can be done for less than $50 and 4 hours of your time.
Ed

Old 12-14-2011, 01:50 PM

I know the gasket itself is pennies...but can be done in 4 hours???

Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with all of those head gasket repair in a bottle products is that they end up clogging your radiator and sometimes even your entire cooling system.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Well, considering it's got a brand new water pump and radiator, I know the flow thru both is unrestricted right now. Makes me think now is the right time to try the temp fix...and I am well aware it is a temp fix...but I've gotta consider investment vs. return. I don't want to keep throwing money at it, nor do I plan on keeping it forever. Am interested in this 4 hour deal though....

Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM

Wrong, you want to do it before you install a new water pump and radiator. It would be a shame to ruin them now that they are new.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by brickrunner
Wrong, you want to do it before you install a new water pump and radiator. It would be a shame to ruin them now that they are new.
Look, I don't mean to sound like a *****, but please, tell me how you KNOW this. Or are you just speculating? Do you have firsthand knowledge of using this product?
And since you're in the mood to offer advice, please, tell me how adding this stuff into a system with a radiator that leaks, and a water pump that weeps...how the stuff is gonna get to where it needs to go?

I know that this is a temp fix, I've said that. I know it's not a professional repair, I've said that too. I'm also a good enough mechanic and smart enough to know that if I buy a gasket, I'm gonna run into more issues doing the work, which will in turn cost more $$$. I DON'T WANT TO PUMP A TON OF $$$ INTO AN $800 CAR!!!
So, again, I ask...
Anyone ever use it, or have firsthand knowledge of someone who has??? Internet reviews from people I don't know at all are hard to trust.

Oh, and quit the fear mongering. If Republicans are bashed for doing it, then you should be too
(that was a joke, stay calm)

Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 PM

I don't have first hand experience but I know of a lot of people that have used those head gasket repair products and have clogged their cooling systems. I have also heard of problems with those products in other car forums. Maybe they used other products instead of Steel Seal, I don't know. But one thing that I do know is that they all started to have other problems after using those products. Those products thicken and turn into a goo that is how they seal the void in the head gasket. If it was a watery liquid it wouldn't be able to seal the void in the gasket. Maybe Steel Seal is better or different, I don't know but be careful it could end up costing you more money, aggravation, and problems. Sorry if I sound negative and its not what you want to hear but I just want you to be aware of the risks before you use it.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:32 PM

Well, consider this:
The car cannot be driven right now. Period.
If I invest $80.00 in a product that is a "gamble", and it doesn't work, I'm out $80.00.
If it does work and gets the car down the road for another 15K miles...

RxAuto Head Gasket Repair | Blown Head Gasket | Call 1-866-780-9042

Looks like this one, albeit a bit more expensive, is the best reviewed out there. Look at how the additive reacts once in the motor, then how the remainder is flushed, therefore "supposedly" preventing clotting and blockages.

My fear of creating a bigger problem if trying to do it the correct way is not unfounded either. When trying to replace the thermostat when this whole overheating debaucle started, I snapped one of the studs. I ain't no moneky with air tools just over torquing the crap outta stuff either, I very gingerly tighten. I can see it already...same s**t would happen. And I ain't tryin-a be negitive either...just realistic.

Well, I'll see how it works. I'll post pics, explain the process, and give an honest, objective review of the product for all of VF members and lurkers to see!!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dezertsub
Well, consider this:
The car cannot be driven right now. Period.
If I invest $80.00 in a product that is a "gamble", and it doesn't work, I'm out $80.00.
If it does work and gets the car down the road for another 15K miles...

RxAuto Head Gasket Repair | Blown Head Gasket | Call 1-866-780-9042

Looks like this one, albeit a bit more expensive, is the best reviewed out there. Look at how the additive reacts once in the motor, then how the remainder is flushed, therefore "supposedly" preventing clotting and blockages.

My fear of creating a bigger problem if trying to do it the correct way is not unfounded either. When trying to replace the thermostat when this whole overheating debaucle started, I snapped one of the studs. I ain't no moneky with air tools just over torquing the crap outta stuff either, I very gingerly tighten. I can see it already...same s**t would happen. And I ain't tryin-a be negitive either...just realistic.

Well, I'll see how it works. I'll post pics, explain the process, and give an honest, objective review of the product for all of VF members and lurkers to see!!
Good luck and we'll see how it works. My only concern is if you have water/antifreeze mixed in the oil it will have a tendency to damage the mains and rod bearings and my take out the crank. Keep an eye on your oil pressure.