Asking for someone who has done distributor

Old 05-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Asking for someone who has done distributor

I am starting my 350K tune up . It is a 1989 740 GL with a B230F N/A engine. After an engine wash down I notice some of my oil leak is coming from the distributor. This engine has the horizontal dist. mounted on the rear of the cam shaft. I have never removed the distributor and suspect the seals are gone so have also purchased a seal kit. What I am asking is do I suspect to find any other seal when I remove the dist. body. By the way this is the model that does NOT have a pick up in it as the timing is done by the flywheel sensor. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:05 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Easy, no surprises back there, no adjustments. Just when you go to put the dist. back in make sure it fits flush, sometimes it's a little tricky especially with new seals...

Old 05-26-2015, 02:20 PM

OK , thanks. I just looked at a few youtube videos and see that there is no big deal on the large o-ring replacement of the shaft seal looks pretty basic.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are three "seals":

1. small oring on tip of shaft
2. larger oring for base of dist
3. INTERNAL seal on shaft.

The third one is the only one that requires any skill to change. You just put it in a bench vice and use a drift and hammer to knock out the pin to change it. Scratch some marks or use paint or whatever to make sure you get the key back on properly. Last thing you need to do is put it back on 180 degrees off.

I suggest pulling the valve cover and checking your valve lash and putting in a new gasket and using silicone on the corners where the gasket flexes. You could have a valve cover gasket leak that you THINK is coming from your dist.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by REVOLV
There are three "seals":

1. small oring on tip of shaft
2. larger oring for base of dist
3. INTERNAL seal on shaft.

The third one is the only one that requires any skill to change. You just put it in a bench vice and use a drift and hammer to knock out the pin to change it. Scratch some marks or use paint or whatever to make sure you get the key back on properly. Last thing you need to do is put it back on 180 degrees off.

I suggest pulling the valve cover and checking your valve lash and putting in a new gasket and using silicone on the corners where the gasket flexes. You could have a valve cover gasket leak that you THINK is coming from your dist.
Yep ,valve check is on the list along with cam seal , belt , front seal , plugs , wires , cap , rotor , transmission flush and PS flush. Already replaced brake lines and brake system flush along with cooling system flush. AC is charged and up to snuff blowin 42*. My bride won't part with it as it was her 1st new car. I think she is going for at least 500K miles or more. It's fun to just play with this car as after replacing my old Ferrari I don't have any more cars to work on.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get front seal in deep or you will have to do it again.

Awesome. Get all those fresh parts in and enjoy. Look at all suspension bushings too.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:20 PM

OK just finished this phase . Did the distributor seals today and the old ones were brittle and broke into pieces. There was some oil in the cap and down the back of the block. Cap and rotor were bad but it still ran good but I had to replace them. Did wires too and when I pulled the plugs they all looked great and the gap wore to .032 but they were very clean. I had 90K miles on them and the cap/rotor. OK so now I have timing belt , valve adjustment , cam and crank seal and then transmission flush.