General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

The uncertainty of not being sure if someone else's work was done right!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The uncertainty of not being sure if someone else's work was done right!

Hi!
I'm new to the forum and thanks to the forum, yesterday I got some answers to the puzzling riddles dealing with our Volvo.

Last week the alternater belts came loose and looking into it, I discovered the tensioning bracket was broken and twisted.
The bracket sleeve had come off the engine, leaving a bushing bolted into the block. Threre was no indication of where the bracket bolted to the block.
I was able to remove the bolt and bushing.
I straightened the bracket and welded it back to the mount sleeve.

Thanks to this forum, I was able to find the parts diagram for just this very project. Armed with that, I went to the dealer and ordered bolt, bushing, and spacer. When I got the new parts, I could see the new bolt was more than twice as long as what I removed. Using the diagram, I could see the bushing mounts into the bracket sleeve from the front, the bolt goes though everything and into the block.
What someone before me did was take a bushing, press it into the rear of the sleeve and used a shorter bolt deep inside the sleeve to bolt to the block. The bracket was just simply pushed onto the end of the bushing, nothing really holding it tight.
The new parts allowed me to do it right. The spacer could not be used; seemingly for a different config.

Someone who knew what they were doing had the audacity to jury rig this. Shame on him!