brake and sidelight electrical problem, are they linked?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy brake and sidelight electrical problem, are they linked?

I own a 1991 LHD Volvo 740 Estate, bought from new when stationed in W.Germany. It has just passed the 100,000 mile mark.
Lately I have had a few problems sorted that may be linked to the latest problem.
To keep it short. I had ignition problems that resulted in fitting new plugs, leads, distributer cap, main fuel pump, pump relay and starter motor.
Since the work has been completed the car starts in the morning after a couple of turns from cold,(remembering I am in the U.K it is always cold),
yet starts immediately from warm or in the middle of the day when the weather is warmer.
This is not the main problem!!!!! Since this work has been carried out I noticed that the main headlights come on when the headlight switch is in the central position. I am aware that only the sidelights should come on in this position. Linked to this my rear brake lights do not work at all. The mechanic who has been doing all this work tells me that he will need to re-wire the circuit. Without pointing a finger, do you think the problems have been caused by him "botching" the prevoius work?
Has anyone come across this problem before?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:35 PM

hell yes..!!!!!!!! what do you mean re-wire????.....find you another mechanic...pronto

don't go over there and bust a can of whoop a@@...just get another mechanic.

GET TO THE LIGHT SWITCH YOURSELF AND UNDO THE WIRES YOUR MECHANIC MIGHT HAVE SWITCHED SO WHEN IN NEUTRAL YOUR LIGHTS COME ON AND FREAKING YOU OUT....JUST WIRE THEM BACK NORMAL...

UNLESS SOMEONE ON HERE KNOWS THIS A COMMON PROBLEM...I DON'T BELIEVE YOUR MECHANIC...

Last edited by analogies; 04-07-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:45 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, he's a bad mechanic for sure. You had a starting problem and he just decided to replace everything he can possibly think of instead of diagnosing the exact problem. The work he did, I don't know how he might have messed up the light switch and the brake lights. It might be coincidental.

Whatever you do, do not let him rewire anything! And yes, get a better mechanic as this guy is a part swapper on your dime!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:14 PM

Thanks for this. I must admit that all the work was not done at the same time. I did need new plugs etc but a few weeks later the fuel pump packed up. It just seems odd that I have not even had to change a bulb on the car in 22 years and the brake/sidelight problem appeared after the previous work was finished. I will take your advice and try a vehicle electrician.