Considering buying a 240 turbo, questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying a 240 turbo, questions

Hi, I am considering buying a 1985 Volvo 240 turbo. First, the owner says that, "Because it sat so long, the electric fuel pump needs to be cleaned and/or replaced. The fuel system needs cleaned." I have looked through this site and see that fuel pump problems seem to be common. Also, I get the impression that there are two fuel pumps, one in the tank and another outside of the tank, is this correct? Is there a way I can test the fuel pump(s) before I buy? If I do end up needing a fuel pump turbobricks has an article that recommends replacing the pump with a late model pump. What exactly are they referring to? Also, Wikipedia says that the B23FT engine was only produced 83-84, so what engine do I have?
Thanks!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 1983 Volvo 242TI Group A car. You can see it at the top as one of the stickies. I assume the one you are looking at is either a 4 door or a wagon. They had a B21FT in them as a motor. There are two fuel pumps in the car one in the tank and one in a carrier under the car. Chances are you will need to replace the pumps. For replacements you can go with the stock setup or like I did, replace two pumps with one in tank Walbro unit. You will definitely need to clean out the fuel system before you even start the car. So as to not get the silt in the system to go all over.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 AM

+1 with all of that above!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:15 PM

OK cool, thanks. It is a 4 door. How much trouble was swapping the Walbro? Is the wiring as simple as hooking the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative? Have you hear od a company called High Flow Fuel Systems? They have a cheap 255lph fuel pump that is advertised as "a very high quality low cost alternative to Walbro."Will pumps for the 7xx, 850 and 9xx work as well? For cleaning out the fuel system should I worry about cleaning the fuel lines? I will replace the fuel filter. I have seen some articles on injector cleaning but they do not make much snese to me. It says you have to disable the fuel pump and plug the return line, then feed some solvent into the fuel rail while the engine is running. How will the engine be running if the fuel pump is disconnected. Could anybody clarify? Do I need to worry about the fuel pressure regulator or any other fuel system component?
Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The high flow fuel systems pumps have been quitting pretty quickly on people as far as I know. The fuel pumps from the early 7 series will work but not from the 9 or the 850. As far as claeaning the system I used brake cleaner to blow all the lines out. Fuel filter will definitely need replaced. Also cleaning the injectors is easy with brake cleaner. You should also check the engine bay wiring to see if it has deteriorated. If the cars been sitting a while there is a good chance you'll have to unstick the calipers for the brakes, and definitely put new fluid in .Don't worry about the fuel pressure regulator. Also check all your vacuum lines they tend to fall apart. More to come.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the tips. I will hopefully get to go look at it after Thanksgiving week.