Could it have been that easy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could it have been that easy?

Hello All, Yesterday my 1990 Dl 240 wagon had recurring problem rear its ugly head. I had been driving a few minutes when I lost power, the engine sputtered, and top speed was maybe 40 MPH. This has happened before. The first time I had to pull over, the car would not run. Checked under the hood, nothing obvious, re-started the car, started up, ran fine I did replace the fuel pump relay then, on suspicion. Prior to the next episode, the following has been done, plugs, wires dist. cap, rotor button, throttle body cleaned. In an unrelated problem, the fuel pressure regulator has been changed. Maybe two weeks ago, almost at work, lost power, sputtering. I made it to the parking lot, when it was time to leave 12 hours later, the car started up and drove fine until yesterday. So today, I cleaned the Mass Air Meter with the CRC MAF cleaner. I inspected the unit prior to cleaning and the only thing I could really see was the heat sink for the module (clever way to get rid of the heat, I thought). After I finished, I was able to see the fine wires. One of my questions is could it have been that easy? I did check the plug and jack for the MAF; all connections were nice and shiny. The other question relates to the fuel filter. I could not break loose the brass connections, I tried a product called PB Blaster from Advance Auto, which has worked well in the past, even better the WD-40, to help loosen the connections any tips short of an impact wrench? Also is the outlet from the filter going to the engine removable? Mine appeared to be molded to the ridged connector, no clap was there. Anyway, sorry for the epic version. Thanks in advance