DOOR CHIME Never Stops RADIO, INT LIGHTS stopped working

Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Died now radio & all int lights don't work, door chime won't stop.

Hey there, everyone. I've seen a lot of posts on this but nothing quite like mine, I don't think. THANKS in advance. I love this site!

My 1993 940 non-turbo sedan has been sitting in my driveway for about 2 months. While it sat, the battery died, of course. I recharged it and drove it to the repair place for them to install a new water pump. (I was out of town and hadn't had time to get it there til yesterday) They also tightened the alternator belt for me. Didn't take too long and they did a nice job - I did not take it to a Volvo Dealership. When I got the car back, I noticed that the door chime would not stop ringing. Once I put the key in and turn it, it starts chiming. Doesn't have to be cranked, just turned on. Also, the radio is dead and none of the lights work on the inside. Here are some things I've done to try to fix this: I'll try to be as clear as possible...

1 - I replaced the fuse that's for all of the int lights, mirror, antenna, etc. I think it was number five...It doesn't seem to be "blown" but it does spark when I put a new one in. I would think I could tell by looking at the fuse whether or not it's blown? Anyway, this did not fix the problem.

2 - I replaced many other fuses in the box (just in case) and because I already had them laying around. Nothing has changed.

3 - I swapped out the door switches, moving the back ones to the front, front ones to the back. Nada. This door chime thing doesn't care if the door is open or closed, anyway.

4 - I unplugged the negative cable to the battery, waited about 10 mins, then put it back on. Zilch.

I'm out of ideas!

You should know this:

The radio antenna that is supposed to go up and down does not. However, it didn't really before because it's bent. Could the broken antenna be the issue? Would a broken antenna motor cause all this? I see on the fuse diagram that the antenna it's also part of this grouping. The radio won't come on anyway so it's hard to know...

The drivers side front seat now only wants to go forward on one side, not the other. Hmm That's a new one....maybe be unrelated....

You should also know that, when I was driving it to get repaired, the door chime was NOT ringing like this. I don't know if the radio worked along the way because I didn't turn it on.

Of course, I would like to figure out what the problem is however, it would be nice just to get the chime to stop because I'm going on a long trip tomorrow.

Could it be that my battery just isn't charged enough?? Runs great, but they did charge it more at the repair shop.

On this year's model, is there a relay for the chime? If so, I can't find it.

Thanks again! I'll be here hoping for some good answers. Super appreciate all of you!!!

All the best - Kelly

Last edited by kellyd; 11-04-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: For Clarity
Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Default Update

Okay, I found the blue chime relay and took it out. Thank God that part is over...

However, all the stuff associated with the number 5 fuse still doesn't work.

- the interior light bulb needs to be replaced, I took it out to inspect it and broke it in the process. If I get a new bulb, would that solve all the trouble?

Again, the antenna...wasn't going up and down before all this mess happened. Could the motor have burned out causing all of this?

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Default It's FIXED - READ THIS

It's fixed!! Well, for now at least. HaHa - and it only took ALL DAY to figure it out!

Here's what I did after reading lots of hints from several places....

Okay, remember, I have a 1993 Volvo 940 and, to recap, after the battery went super-dead, it was recharged but then stuff didn't work associated with the number 5 fuse and the door chime wouldn't shut up...ever.

1 - I removed the negative battery cable and set it aside.

2 - I removed the little shelf that sits above the ashtray by popping open the cigarette lighter cover, unscrewing the two screws, and then just pulling it out...well, as far as it will go anyway. It helped to put the key in the ignition and to put the parking break on, so that I could put the gear in neutral, giving me more room.

3 - I located the BLUE door chime relay at the back of the relay cluster. It was the only blue one and the only one with a speaker. I pulled it out and CHUCKED IT across the street. Well, okay...I just took it out. If you can't pull it off with your hand, I used a flat head screwdriver to kind of pry it up some first...easy job.

4 - Since all this took about 15 minutes, I went back and reconnected the battery. Before, I had only had it disconnected for like 5 mins...didn't seem to be enough.

5 - I got back in the car, put the key in, and enjoyed the silence. However, at this point, all the stuff that should be working on the inside still wasn't. But at least it was quiet.

6 - I checked the Number 5 fuse one more time, noticed that it was indeed blown again, and replaced it. As soon as I placed it in, all the stuff inside starting working. HOORAY!

One thing I didn't know was how to tell if the fuse is good or bad just by looking at it. It's in the manual - Duh.

Anyway, so now my car is chimeless until I feel like getting a new relay...which will be NEVER.

I hope this thread helps people out for years to come.

All the best - Kelly

Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

its quite possible the chime will work right again, too.

I would note, if the replacement fuse you put in before had blown, odds are there's an intermittent short somewhere in the wiring downstream from that fuse. those can be no fun to find.