Driver's side mirror fell out

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Dee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's side mirror fell out

Hi Everyone,
Need a little advise... I have a 240 91 Sedan, and my driver side mirror has been a little loose, I should of fixed it but did not..On Saturday I shut my door and just the mirror fell out and broke... the holder is till on and so is the piece inside... I went to the auto supply store and got one of the replacement mirror that you can cut to fit..and I peeled off the back and stuck it in for the time being... The temp mirror kind of distorts things like looking in a fun house mirror... I need an actual car mirror... all the places I checked sell the whole unit, I just need a mirror... any advise, this is a first for me... do supply stores sell volvo mirrors only...confused...do I need to bring it somewhere to get it replaced, or can I do it myself...

Thanks
Dee

Old 08-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Driver's side mirror fell out

You will be better off replacing the entire thing.It wil be easier in the long run.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:18 PM

I thought I was the only person with that kind of luck. Luckily for you I have already navigated this terrain.
Absolutely do not buy the whole mirror assembly, many$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I got a replacement from a junk yard for $2. This place called u-wrench-it. I would imagine that every area has one of these. It's basically a junk yard and you can pull anything you want.
You have to be careful when removing it, although the failing glue seems to be common on the old volvos, then glue it to your mirror assembly.
Don't feel bad about the fun house mirror. I tried to get my 740 state inspected with one of those and the guy laughed at me. I was glad to make his day.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Dee

Thank you so much Proudmonkey for your response.... you are right the mirrors are expensive....I got quoted $45-90 from two volvo dealers just for the mirror glass only... I will go your route....and check the junkyards..funny about your inspection with the funhouse mirror. have a great day!!

Dee

Old 11-14-2023, 12:15 AM
Default Mirror Fell Out

Originally Posted by Dee
Hi Everyone,
Need a little advise... I have a 240 91 Sedan, and my driver side mirror has been a little loose, I should of fixed it but did not..On Saturday I shut my door and just the mirror fell out and broke... the holder is till on and so is the piece inside... I went to the auto supply store and got one of the replacement mirror that you can cut to fit..and I peeled off the back and stuck it in for the time being... The temp mirror kind of distorts things like looking in a fun house mirror... I need an actual car mirror... all the places I checked sell the whole unit, I just need a mirror... any advise, this is a first for me... do supply stores sell volvo mirrors only...confused...do I need to bring it somewhere to get it replaced, or can I do it myself...

Thanks
Dee
I had the same problem last summer when my mirror fell out of the unit. I went to O'Rielys Auto Parts store, bought a mirror there that fit perfectly and some heavy duty glue, and replaced the mirror myself. I told the salesman I wanted to use JB Weld to glue the mirror on, but he said that may not be the best and so I bought some heavy duty glue instead. It works well and the mirror looks brand new and has stayed on as it should.