Fed up with 240DL!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fed up with 240DL!

Ive had it with my 90 240 DL. In Virginia it is required to get your car inspected once a year and my inspection expired at the end of Janurary. So for the last few months I have been making small repairs that I knew it needed. Some new tires, new front muffler and pipe, tail light circut board, Rack and pinion boots (and tie rods since I had to take them off) A few weekends ago I took it in for inspection after driving from my college (ODU in Norfolk) to my home town (Fredericksburg, 140 miles away) to have it inspected by a trusted shop. It did not pass. It needed brake pads (no big deal) and to have the tie rod ends adjusted (aparently i threaded them on too much). So I did what I could before coming back to class in Norfolk and got a ticket (93 bucks with court costs) for expired inspection. Two weeks later I came up and finsihed repairs and took it back. A different inspector handled it and found more wrong with it. The power steering had gotten rought and wouldnt pass and the airbad light wasnt coming on when the car started. So I took the car home and took the cluster out and replaced the airbag light bulb. Now the bulb stays on all the time, which will also keep it from passing inspection. So now im in a position of being on a students income and having already put several hundred dollars into a car I only paid 300 for in the first place and still no inspection sticker. The thing that really gets me is that the car runs and handles fine, looks okay, has a nice interior, and had been fairly reliable. What is the next move? I dont know what to check on the airbag. I was pondering changing the steering weel with an older 240 wheel without an airbag, removing the bulb and SRS sticker under the hood. How illegal is this and does anyone want a 90 240 DL with 167K on it CHEAP? Thanks

Sticking with mercedes
Phil

Old 02-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Default RE: Fed up with 240DL!

Disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes (turn your radio off first). Without power, the SRS should deactivate and clear the fault in electronic memory. If the SRS light comes back on after reconnecting the battery cable there is a fault being recorded and should be serviced ASAP. Unfortunately this is not for the do-it-yourselfer.

Removing the SRS won't make it if it was required on the '90.

Many states are trying to get older cars off the road. They're digging deeper and deeper with more and more excuses and incentives (carrots and sticks). I've been lucky with my '86. After a couple more smog inspections it could be exempt as an antique.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Default RE: Fed up with 240DL!

Thanks for the advice. I have already tried to clear the codes and it keeps coming back. Im really tired of dealing with it. The car runs fine and is safe its just that stupid airbag light. If anyone wants the car let me know.. Id just like what I have put into it.. maybe 700 bucks. its silver with a black interior 167K miles New Goodyear wheatherwise tires.