a few motor question fairly easy

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question a few motor question fairly easy

i have a 86 740 turbo 5-speed.

i am interested in a hand full of things mainly geting my information strait be fore i get my wrenches out.

#1. how much boost. is a stock motor able to take. " with proper management" with out having to run meth.

#2. can i put a 16v head on a 8v block. an use my stock ignition system?

#3. how far will my stock turbo and injectors take me? i already have a large inter cooler to replace the one i have so for now thats taken care of unless i go air to water.

#4. if i need rods an pistons or a cam. who / ware do i go to to get these parts?

also if i go thru the trouble to make full three inch exaust systems for the 740 turbo. how many of you would be interested in buy them. using magnaflow cats an mufllers? i work in a fab shop

Old 05-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1. how much boost. is a stock motor able to take. " with proper management" with out having to run meth.

Since you have an 86 I think you'll have the smaller 9 mm rods, then around 89 they switched over to the 13mm rods. You can run maybe 12psi daily with the stock set up safely. Of course you can run more like 15 but its a battle of how long will it last before your rods bend and go through the block.

#2. can i put a 16v head on a 8v block. an use my stock ignition system?

You can but why? I mean if you are going to drop the crazy amount of cash involved with building that motor you really wouldn't want to run the stock EFI because it will seriously limit your abilities. There are a ton of writes ups about throwing a 16v head on an 8v block, but lets just say you need. Custom intake, Custom exhaust manifold, Possibly custom pistons and rods, along with a lot of other stuff.

#3. how far will my stock turbo and injectors take me? i already have a large inter cooler to replace the one i have so for now thats taken care of unless i go air to water.

Maybe 14lbs safely, thats a huge maybe too depending on gas and temperature and if you're doing hard launches. But you can get the injectors from a turbo Ford and go a little further.

#4. if i need rods an pistons or a cam. who / ware do i go to to get these parts?

For a cam you can go to RSI or IPD, and maybe even find an old SAM cam or you can get an A cam slotted so you can run your distributor, unless you go to a 240 style distributor and run it off the block. But thats the easy part. Pistons rods. Pauter makes great rods. I heard someone mention wiseco pistons could work with some machining. I would contact RSI for better info.

also if i go thru the trouble to make full three inch exaust systems for the 740 turbo. how many of you would be interested in buy them. using magnaflow cats an mufllers? i work in a fab shop.

I'll take one for a 242, but I think that market os pretty well cornered by a few guys over at turbobricks.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:51 AM

[quote=adub96;160089]#1. how much boost. is a stock motor able to take. " with proper management" with out having to run meth.

Since you have an 86 I think you'll have the smaller 9 mm rods, then around 89 they switched over to the 13mm rods. You can run maybe 12psi daily with the stock set up safely. Of course you can run more like 15 but its a battle of how long will it last before your rods bend and go through the block.

thanks for the info. . if i take the motor from a n 89 740 that would be a better motor to go with?

i only wish to run 12psi. so if the other motor will do 14psi. i think that will be the best bang for my buck. the 16v head willl need a little too much $ at the moment as i am bring a turbo 537i bmw online for this summer.

but things i will do , will be a cam, see what i can do about the intake to improve flow, some head work on the newer motor an some 3inch exaust. so some basics for now an then posibly over the winter get inot my internals on this car. seen some bad *** u-tube vids of some volvos. i will now be stocking my garage with a bmw an a volvo from now on. i am a believer

can any one confirm the 89 - ? year motor being any stronger internally?

also if i was to part an engine together using all stock parts. what is the list i will need to do that?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM

Don't bother piecing together a motor. If you want to build something and keep it 8v what you want is a 93-95 motor from a 940 turbo. These are known as squirter blocks. They have the big rods, and they have squirters that shoot oil on the bottom of the piston to keep them cool. they were pretty much the best of all worlds. Though, there is more power potential on a 83-85 B21ft motor because those bottom ends were supposedly ridiculously strong. At some point in 89 they made the switch to the 13mm shouldered rods. I would be safe and grab a 90+ turbo motor. Or even a 91+ to get the desirable exhaust manifold. Any way you decide to go there is about a 300hp limit on what you can realistically do with a 8v redblock and not drop serious serious super serious cash on stuff.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 PM

i have a 740 . i would be interested in exhaust. do you have to make them with the cats? ware i live there not required.

sorry i dont have any info on the motors.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 PM

i will go for the block with the oil sprayers. i will check an see what year the wagon is in my local yard here. an pull its engine if its the right year. then i will rebuild it. but for now i guess i will beat the **** out of my original motor. that's usually entertaining. so 300hp cap from there it gets costly. i will keep this in mind.

also what is the desirable turbo? that seems to be the plum to pick?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:11 PM

That's where all the contention is. A lot of people love the Holset HX35 I personally like to have a turbo that isn't like a complete light switch, though I will say mine is pretty bad too, and going to be worse when I finish building what I want. I say minimum for that car, I think that was the last year of the garrett turbo for the 7XX so it should be a .48/.42 on there. If you can find a .63/.42 that will give you some breathing room, then you can make a t3/t4 hybrid and you can go for some pretty good power. That's what I'm doing at least. if its a mitsubishi turbo you can get a 15g as a minimum upgrade. I think honestly thats a first purchase sort of deal. OR skip the 15g and go for a 18t or 19t.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by adub96
That's where all the contention is. A lot of people love the Holset HX35 I personally like to have a turbo that isn't like a complete light switch, though I will say mine is pretty bad too, and going to be worse when I finish building what I want. I say minimum for that car, I think that was the last year of the garrett turbo for the 7XX so it should be a .48/.42 on there. If you can find a .63/.42 that will give you some breathing room, then you can make a t3/t4 hybrid and you can go for some pretty good power. That's what I'm doing at least. if its a mitsubishi turbo you can get a 15g as a minimum upgrade. I think honestly thats a first purchase sort of deal. OR skip the 15g and go for a 18t or 19t.

i am very partial to garrett. so i will go with one of them for sure. the t3-t4 turbos from what i have read seem to be very promising. are any of you running one ?

also my volvo dose have the garrett turbo. can i send it out to be rebuilt to be slightly larger so its not winded at the top of the rpm range? the factory turbo seems great but it spikes hard. an settles low. i would bet on a dyno there would be pots all over the map with the turbo cranked up. lol.

Last edited by Boost_hoe; 05-14-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost_hoe
i am very partial to garrett. so i will go with one of them for sure. the t3-t4 turbos from what i have read seem to be very promising. are any of you running one ?

also my volvo dose have the garrett turbo. can i send it out to be rebuilt to be slightly larger so its not winded at the top of the rpm range? the factory turbo seems great but it spikes hard. an settles low. i would bet on a dyno there would be pots all over the map with the turbo cranked up. lol.

Yes you can....send your turbo to tryingbe over at turbobricks.com
PM him for more info.....
He can do almost anything for you.....http://forums.turbobricks.com/member.php?u=3973

My friend has a stock t3 hotside with a Super 60 compressor side....thing is pretty fun.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Emperial
i have a 740 . i would be interested in exhaust. do you have to make them with the cats? ware i live there not required.

sorry i dont have any info on the motors.
If your state doesn't require them then no....you dont have to put one on.....

Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 PM

thanks for the info guys.