Flame trap and PCV system

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Flame trap and PCV system

Well a few weeks back I purchased a flame trap kit and the lower plastic oil separator. So today I decided to replace it. It was fun and took a few hours to do. Most of the time was unassembling and re-assembling parts. This was on an 89 740 GL with 317K miles on it. After I got it back together I cut the lower oil separator in half and it was pretty full of crusted dried up oil and the rubber hoses were partially blocked. As to the little flame trap I removed that ages ago but too late because I ended up with a rear seal leak. I still have that but other then the oil coat on the transmission it isn't bad enough that I'm ready to pull the transmission. So I would recommend replacing this system every 100K miles.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's actually supposed to be replaced at every oil change. So that would be between 3-5 months or 3-5k km.

It's probably the most overlooked maintence, especially for the do-it yourselfers. Although in my time, I have told customers they need it done, and they won't do it. On the 3.3 Chrylser motor, it's a little plastic cylinder, costs 4.99 and takes 5 minutes to change. And people will NOT do it.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:38 PM

I've seen 2009 hondas with ticks/knocks from hell at 120k miles. You ask When they changed the oil last... "What's oil"? *facepalm*

Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 PM

No education is about as bad as it gets. I honestly think to drive a car, you should be tested on the basic maintence procedure. If you are unable to keep your car in a safe operating condition, you shouldn't be allowed to drive it.

We had a new forklift driver at work. We also had an older forklift that used a slight amount of oil, and needed a refill every now and then. The guy actually dumped bottle after bottle into it, because he could'nt ' see the oil'. Damn guy was just looking inside the valve cover for the oil to be filled.

We told him the problem was theres a nut loose behind the wheel haha.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Well a few weeks back I purchased a flame trap kit and the lower plastic oil separator. So today I decided to replace it.
Be weary of that oil separator box if it is an aftermarket one. Where did you buy it? I have heard (namely from Turbobricks) that the aftermarket ones are not welded properly, and eventually crack. I would compare the seams of the two halves. The high quality Volvo ones are welded together with more plastic, and give that beaded look. The after market ones have a smoother seam, but are not as resilient. Might be better off just soaking/cleaning the original one.
At least keep an eye on it.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Burn Stains
Be weary of that oil separator box if it is an aftermarket one. Where did you buy it? I have heard (namely from Turbobricks) that the aftermarket ones are not welded properly, and eventually crack. I would compare the seams of the two halves. The high quality Volvo ones are welded together with more plastic, and give that beaded look. The after market ones have a smoother seam, but are not as resilient. Might be better off just soaking/cleaning the original one.
At least keep an eye on it.
The box looked as good as the one I pulled out but even if it fails it isn't a bad job to replace. Also the whole kit only cost $27 so it's no big deal. As to changing the flame trap every 5K miles I don't think that is a bad idea but if you just look at it you know when to change it. As I mentioned I pulled the trap insert out a long time ago but after looking at the hoses I can see it would have been better to change them out at 50 or 100K miles. They still function after 317K miles but I'll change at next 100K.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by VileSmile
No education is about as bad as it gets. I honestly think to drive a car, you should be tested on the basic maintence procedure. If you are unable to keep your car in a safe operating condition, you shouldn't be allowed to drive it.

We had a new forklift driver at work. We also had an older forklift that used a slight amount of oil, and needed a refill every now and then. The guy actually dumped bottle after bottle into it, because he could'nt ' see the oil'. Damn guy was just looking inside the valve cover for the oil to be filled.

We told him the problem was theres a nut loose behind the wheel haha.
From what I see there is a greater lack of experience in today's drivers. The days of the backyard mechanic or motor head types seem to diminish. Back in the 60's I would hang around guys who would rebuild mostly every part on cars and replace very few. This allowed me to rebuild engines and transmissions as well as most other components on a car. That doesn't happen today and most ricers just bolt on or replace parts. Some don't even know the function of the parts that the code scanner brings up. If the OM says change the oil every 10K miles then the take it to someone to do it. Just the way of the world. Take a look at the car shows in your local area. I bet you don't find many owners under 60 years old. Hey live and learn.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Well thats why I said, It's 'supposed' to be changed at every oil change, what really should happen is it should be inspected. If it isnt broken, don't fix it.

In automotive technologly, there is much less you can fix yourself, regardless of skill level. Chevy even went back to the old style oil filters on the 2.2 motor so you COULD'NT do it yourself. Companys like Mercedes Benz actually loose money because the cars are too well built to offer any money in fixing them, so there is quite the market in making it 'redneck proof', to keep the customer coming back.