Flame Trap Question....I'm lost!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flame Trap Question....I'm lost!

Hi guys,
I've been working on cleaning the flame trap on my 86 240GL and have run into a problem.
I got the hoses disconnected and also the little wye style rubber connector that the hoses go onto. Now I'm looking at a shortlittle tube that (according to my Haynes manual)is attached to the oil trap. Now again, according to my Haynes manual I should now be seeing the flame trap and from there I just need to remove it and clean it up. The only problem is that I see a lot of sludge and muck in the short little tube but there's no flame trap at all. I did take a short length of wire and probed it into the little tube and there is restriction at the bottom of the tube. By chance is the flame trap actually located at the bottom of this tube and if so, how in the heck do you get it off?? I did take some long needle nose pliers and tried gently rocking and pulling on the tube to see if it would slide up. No luck. It seems that it's affixed solidly to the top of the oil trap so I'm wondering if it's actually threaded into the oil trap. So far my Haynes manual makes everything sound so easy but then things are much different when I actually begin a procedure. Oh well, that's life and there's no doubt that I'm starting from scratch on my mechanical abilities. Once again, if any of you can tell me where to go from here and the correct procedure I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if there's anything I need to be especially careful of please don't neglect to fill me in on this as well!
I really appreciate it guys.
Dave

Old 06-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Default RE: Flame Trap Question....I'm lost!

That "Y" shaped plastic housing holds your falme trap. It should be round, white (or used to be) , with several holes. That small "S" shape hose goes from the "Y" housing to the oil trap. If that hose is full of crude your oil trap is gonna be even worse. You might want to replace it. At the very least remove clean the heck out of it and reinstall with a new o-ring.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-96...spagenameZWDVW
This isthe kit I used. I highly recommend it. Your is a little different (mine is an 89)but the same guy has a kit for yours also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PVC-O...spagenameZWD1V
This is your oil trap.

The best way to remove or replace the flame trap is to take off the intake manifold and move it out of the way. Sounds like a lot of work but it really is not. And it gives you the chance to clean your throttle body and to make sure all your intake hoses are in good shape.

Good Luck and have fun.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Default RE: Flame Trap Question....I'm lost!

Okay,
I've had mine apart and I'm missing the actual flame trap insert completely. I did start the engine up with the assembly removed and it did blow a lot of crap (carbon like deposits)up out of the oil trap (which is what I was hoping for). I figure this tells me that there is still ventilation through the oil trap, at least.
I did go ahead and install everything so I can use the car until I get a new flame trap to put in. I don't have a Volvo dealer close to me so it looks as if I'll be buying one of the Ebay kits.
One question I have is if it will hurt anything to run the engine withoutthe flame trap insertinstalled. I don't know how long this one has been running this way but I'd guess for quite some time. I actually had to take a tiny drill bit and open the little nipple on the wye connector with a cordless drill! I'm planning on ordering one of the Ebay kits you posted but can I still use the car until it comes in? I don't want to do any damage to the engine by doing so.
Thanks for your help and hope you or someone can answer my question about running the engine without the trap installed.
Dave