Fried transmission on 240?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:12 PM
JJR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried transmission on 240?

Hi everyone. I have a 1990 240 DL with a slipping automatic tranny. Started a few months ago when I noticed it bucking a bit when I put it in reverse. Everything else seemed fine. Then there were a couple of instances recently where it felt like it was slipping slightly while in drive. But it was so minor I wasn't sure if it was slipping that I was feeling. Today got in it and started it and heard a distinct whining/squealing. Opened the hood and it almost seemed as if it was coming from the engine. Took off and stopped for coffee. When I started off again it was still whining...then started slipping pretty bad until it basically stopped moving forward. Shut her down. Waited 5 min and tried again. Bucking forward a bit but not enough to get going...so towed it back to the house and drained the tranny. Fluid didn't look good and smells burnt. Almost chocolate brownish. I know I know..maintenance. Well this is where I am so no amount of scolding is gonna help at this point :-( Filled it back up with a few quarts of dextron III and a quart of stop slip (looked like 80W oil basically). Started it up and nada. No movement whatsoever. Came home a few hours later..and tried again. After a few revs it began to move and felt almost normal (aside from the squealing). Went around the block and by the time I got back to the house it was slipping bad again.

Is this thing toast? Boat anchor? Or maybe repairable? I have a line on a used tranny with 3 month warranty for around $450...or another at the used parts emporium (junkyard lol) for $160 with 1 month warranty good only for exchange or other parts no $$$ back. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Jim

Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 PM

Toast? Yes. Boat anchor? Yes. Repairable? Sure... Matter of $... Needs a rebuild... I'd get a used one, still check it out, if you can, whence it came, miles, fluid condition, etc.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM
JJR

It moves for a bit now..always after sitting. But it's squealing really bad..even while in park. Could it just be a bad torque converter?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
JJR

From the symptoms I'm reading about online..it's sounding alot like a bad torque converter. Is it feasible to just change the converter? Sounds like they are not that much $$. Not easy to find though. The trani is an Aisin Warner or AW70. Is an AW71 compatible. Sounds like a re-inforced version of the 70. Also realize that there could be metal shavings spread throughout the unit incl. the pump that would need serious flushing at the least. Gonna drop the pan tonite and check for shavings...

Old 06-23-2010, 12:59 PM
JJR

Fun job this has turned out to be. Worst tranny I've ever dealt with. Had to drop the driveshaft..the crossmember, the exhaust, the linkage, and the coolant lines etc. Two of the bellhousing bolts were so tight they had to be put on with an impact wrench. Took a half inch drive breaker bar with four 8 inch extensions just to get to them, and all my strength to break them loose. Feeling pretty wounded this morning (sore) and still have the top two bell housing bolts left. Can't really even see them from either side. Anyone have any suggestions other than loosening the motor mounts and removing the radiator to tilt the engine up?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 PM
JJR

Well..seem to be talking to myself in here lol. New trani is in. Took me and a friend nearly all day due to it not lining up real well. Had to use a small scissor jack on one side of the motor to push it over a couple inches then finally it dropped in. Gonna fill it up with fluid today and give it a go. Fingers crossed...

Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have done a filter service and flush first and foremost. These tranny's are workhorses but sometimes the screen filter can get clogged making it act like a bad tranny....you will here high pitch squealing if filter is plugged...I have bought several 240"s from people who thought their tranny was bad did a filter service and a flush and the tranny performed perfectly. Not saying it works all the time but you always try this first before R&R a tranny...next time it happens take my word it will save you a lot of time and $$..