Got NO business lookin at it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got NO business lookin at it!

Why did I even stop? My blue 89 240 wagon with 215k is doing just fine and the boy wont even be driving for another 8 years. But there it sits with $500 on the windshield. An 88 240 sedan, same color as my wagon. The boy says he wants a Mustang (!) The odometer says 090000 and some change. Floors a bit rusty but rockers look ok and has dog hair throughout. Bumper is gone. Would make a nice partner with the 89. Cant beleive that mileage is correct. And I need a project like a bad illness. So why am I writing this? Good question cause I dont have an answer... Dave

Old 10-13-2009, 12:05 PM

I see 240's on my local craiglist occasionally in the $300-$500 range ... a lot don't run or have title issues. The temptation is always there is pick one up, park it in the field, drain the gas, and put a cover over it - to one day resurrect it for one of my children's first car.

But then I remember that I already have two non-running "projects" that I don't have the time or money for. Dang.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Default orphan

Yeah- I'm the guy that adopts stray cats and takes stuff out of the metal and burn piles at the dump. Just hate seeing things getting scrapped...I figured a nice slow safe car would be good for a new driver but that is just too far away. Dave

Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you've been agonzing over the car your son has gotten closer to the driving age, even if it is only by hours. Go ahead and buy the car. You know you want to.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jks2
While you've been agonzing over the car your son has gotten closer to the driving age, even if it is only by hours. Go ahead and buy the car. You know you want to.

+1...... Sounds like YOU want it and it sounds like a good price. If you were thinking we would talk you out of it, me might just help you decide to buy it! Those things are SOLD like a tank. Something your son would be safe in. When he goes to school, he would have tons of space for gear to tote around. Good on gas and of course so solid it's considered one of the most reliable cars period............ I know this because I had an 85 sedan and just like my 850, it will take forever for me to find the right 240 wagon for me to call my own. Don't feel so bad, I think most of us on here would have stopped and looked at it. Just think, if you buy it now, you will be done with the reconstruction of the sedan, so when he is old enough to drive he can take you for the 1st drive............................................. .................

Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 PM

buy it, and have your son fix it with you. its a great tank and a safe car!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM

BUY IT!!!! I did the same thing, and was scared to tell my wife what I had done. Now that I am out of the dog house my next hurdle will be this Friday when I bring it home. I paid $250.00 for a 1988 240 wagon. Based on the reception I get when it comes home, I will keep it or offer it up to a couple of fellow members then to the public. I agree have your son help repair it, He will appreciate it a lot more.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let it be his car, and have him fix it up with you.

That is what Me and my dad are doing to the 244T we got. Right now it just sits, which is a shame.

how bad is the rust? miles might be correct. I have seen some that low. Mine has 147,000 and it is an 1982.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 PM

A Mustang is the worst car to give a new driver. My first car was a 1975 Camaro and it went really nice with the whole mullet thing, but I totalled that car and was lucky enough to be here talking about it.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Default 240

Yeah- i dont really like the whole mustang idea. and as far as him helping me work on it, I think I'm still a few years away from that. He's only 8. Actually I think his 6 yr old sister would be more willing to help fix up an old car. Sounds like a made for TV movie dont it? I think I'll stop by and ask about it tomorrow. havent spoken to anyone about it yet- including my wife. Dont even know if it runs. If it reaks of dog, I will defititely pass. Dave

Old 10-16-2009, 02:24 PM

Show him a picture of a 79 Mustang II. Tell him that's what he'll get for a 'Stang.
The Volvo will be looking sooo much better than the Ford.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Default 240 dl 500$

Well I went in a little deeper into the 88 240DL sedan- opened the doors. Whoa! the stink! It's supernatural! Like Seinfelds Beemer after the valet. and I think I met the pug that has been living in it all these years. Unbeleivable ammount of hair. havent spoken to anyone about it yet. 2 bald tires, 2 "new" tires. really pretty minimal rust. Body straight, no evidence of crashes. needs exhaust system. Dont know if it runs. Filthy! Filthy! I think it would have to have the seats, carpet and door panels thrown out. seriously. And under the hood a sticker that says Melbourne Auto Works. (????) doubt anyone will buy this cause of the stink. Bet I could get it for $100. Why do I do this to myself ???? Dave

Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Got Boost?

gutted steam clean clean, seemweld the chassie, build it, track it!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Default 240

TIPSP- I have no idea what that post means. Dave

Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by TIPSP
gutted steam clean clean, seemweld the chassie, build it, track it!
Translation.................

Remove entire interior, steam clean the carpet or place in a huge industrial washing machine, clean all the seats, trim, etc. Seal all the internal body seams since the interior is naked and use a strong, flexible sealant. Put it back together and then race it?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
Translation.................

Remove entire interior, steam clean the carpet or place in a huge industrial washing machine, clean all the seats, trim, etc. Seal all the internal body seams since the interior is naked and use a strong, flexible sealant. Put it back together and then race it?
When I got my old 240 I did the same thing.... Took 2 days just to rebuild the drivers seat and clean the interior! I do miss that car though

Old 10-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Default 240

OK- I understand all except the sealing of the body seams. Is that just something to do since everything is out? I know dog BO is hard to remove. Our local U pull it has 5$ seat special day. I think I'd just throw them out and replace with the non stinky type. Maybe carpet too. Ebay had 2 sets of fresh, clean complete carpets for buy it now $60. wonder if headliner would stink too? But I havent bit yet, guess Im waiting for the guy to get a little more desperate. By the way, the mileage really is 90k. on a 1988 car.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:57 AM

Many years ago I bought a '71 164 to restore for my son who was 15 at the time. He didn't think it was a very 'cool' car until his friends did and that made it OK. New interior and paint and he had the sharpest car at school. Two years later he was rear ended by a full size Chevy pickup. Bent the Volvo bumper badly and broke both tail lights. Bent the trunk lid a little but not enough to replace. Shoved the grill of the truck into the fan and bent both fenders and hood.

The Volvo is the only car to start a new driver in.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Got Boost?

Originally Posted by daver80
OK- I understand all except the sealing of the body seams. Is that just something to do since everything is out? I know dog BO is hard to remove. Our local U pull it has 5$ seat special day. I think I'd just throw them out and replace with the non stinky type. Maybe carpet too. Ebay had 2 sets of fresh, clean complete carpets for buy it now $60. wonder if headliner would stink too? But I havent bit yet, guess Im waiting for the guy to get a little more desperate. By the way, the mileage really is 90k. on a 1988 car.
Just replace what is to bad clean.

I was just joking with the other post. about welding it, then tracking it.

but it will need to be cleaned inside. I removed all my interior during the swap, and used simple green to clean the body. Itsmells like a new car now.

We had some one redo the headliner for us. IPD has a kit you can to redo it.

Originally Posted by TestPoint
Many years ago I bought a '71 164 to restore for my son who was 15 at the time. He didn't think it was a very 'cool' car until his friends did and that made it OK. New interior and paint and he had the sharpest car at school. Two years later he was rear ended by a full size Chevy pickup. Bent the Volvo bumper badly and broke both tail lights. Bent the trunk lid a little but not enough to replace. Shoved the grill of the truck into the fan and bent both fenders and hood.

The Volvo is the only car to start a new driver in.
164 is a good looking car.

Last edited by TIPSP; 10-24-2009 at 01:55 PM.