hello , kids !

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pierce
the fuel sender is something that's quite doable with just some hand tools, and a fair amount of patience.. the part isn't that expensive, shops just charge a lot because it takes a fair amount of futzing around to get it out and back into the tank.

AW70/71 transmissions are good for 250-300,000 miles of HARD driving as long as they get an occasional flush and filter service. so yeah, flush-n-filter. engine oil changes are a 5000 mile thing in my book (which says "Volvo" on the cover )
doable? sure sounds like a all-day er to me ! but I believe you are right , now affordable , is another question ! After what I've done so far , I need to wait till my money tree sprouts some more blooms before I tackle this one . The shop quoted me just under $800.00 for the job w/the unit @ 460.00 . Can you provide some links to buy at a better price? I've searched the usual suspects and find a REGINA unit just over 300.00, suspect that is about the best I will be able to find. I printed the instruction for the replace ,(thanks , Pierce) 20 pages !! Sounds like you are reading the right "books" Do you think I should SEAFOAM the oil prior to changing the oil? What oil/filter would you suggest (252,000 miles) What fluid for the trans? where to get the correct filter for trans? Whew ! So far I am into this car about $2000.00 and don't feel bad about it. Love the way it drives , great alternative to the Miata , and the old Rancheroo !

Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Thumbs up O2 sensor ,,,done !

Not sure if the car runs better or it may be wishful thinking , but the O2 sensor is replaced and check eng. light is off. (seems a little stronger on acceleration and the trans seems to be shifting smoother. )

Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Thumbs up update.

For those who are keeping track,,,, Changed oil, &filter, plus air filter. Flushed trans and changed that filter, car is running very well , gas mileage is not what I had hoped (just over 20) I also replaced the cracked tail light w/one from IPD , and it broke a lens in less than a week ! Nothing hit it I suspect it just got too hot and popped. In any case , I am replacing with another from a different vendor and hope for better luck. My local Volvo shop (Swedish) says IPD lenses are inferior and they have had this problem before. Matter of fact , their records show a previously replaced lens on this same car by a previous owner , (also IPD). On a positive note , the wagon is running well , trans seems smoother since flush & fill and it is no longer marking it's territory on various driveways & parking lots around town , so all in all a WIN !! Would a pointless ignition do me any good ? I have a Petronix on my old rancheroo and it has been faultless for several years. Any thoughts?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM

Been a while since the volvo gave me any trouble , but here I am again;passenger side rear turnsignal is out, replaced the bulb(no indication of broken filament). Dash light still on ! what is the prob? Also , white/brown stripe wire not connected any where, is this the prob? Seems like I need hands the size of a 10 year old girls to get in there ! Any relief? Thanks.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:01 PM

Each light on the tail light should have a wire connected for the power, then the ground contacts the common ground strip. Check the socket contacts, might need to be bent in a little to make contact to either the bulb or lamp assembly. I just corrected most of my lamp issues like that. A 10mm ratchet wrench with an adjustable head helps a lot to pull the assembly out.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

brown-white is indeed the right-side parking light, wired to the bottom socket.

indeed, that little access plate is cramped, barely adequate to change bulbs. to fix anything beyond a bulb, you darn near have to remove the whole light fixture.

I use a soft pink pencil eraser to clean flexi-circuit and other contacts, it takes off the oxide without stripping the metal platings.. if you're fanatical, put a dab of deoxit gold on the contacts before reassembling.