help me fix up this '89 240 a little?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me fix up this '89 240 a little?

Hey folks, first post. I hope someone here or all of you can take me in and give me a hand... I have a '89 240 four door. Pretty low km for an older car. Just needs a little help.
List of issues in priority sequence:

1. Low to no power on really wet rainy days. Car sputters and is begging for juice (fuel or electrical I can't tell) and once even cut out. Seems to fix itself if left in park and running for 5 to 20 mins. Distributer cap crack? Spark plug wires? Assuming it's even electrical?

2. Dash lights. Clock and half of the speedometer are fine but lights out on the right side by the gas. Also unable to tell if OD is active or not.

3. Seat padding. The thing was barely driven yet the driver seat padding is almost completely gone. On one side you can feel the metal bar of the seat frame. Seat cover is fine, just the padding underneath is gone.

4. Radio. Useless. Works 10% of the time. Reception is horrible and the volume seems to make decisions all by itself. Sometimes punching the top of the dash above the radio seems to have an affect but doesn't fix. Have replaced all fuses for the radio but to no avail. Temporarily fix is a power converter and a set of small computer speakers.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm also looking for the cheapest place to buy replacement parts. There was a plant in Halifax Canada which isn't far and I hear the Sweds like the 240s so maybe these areas have cheap parts I could order to do this work myself?

This is an image I found that looks identical:

Sorry if I'm breaking any forum rules in my post...

Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

1. electrical, u'r n the right track there... 2. bulb, replace it. od has its own bulb should light up when the button is pressed... 3. the thing was not barely driven, unless it was by an 800 pounder.get a cushion from a salvage yard, a passenger one wil be ok. 4. replace the radio, easy!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the first electrical problem u described, I replaced half my motor trying to diagnose the problem. It turned out the brush pack in my alternator was worn out so I was just running on mostly battery power, explaining why I kept losing power while I was driving. I got a replacement alternator from a local salvage yard that was used only a little and that fixed the problem for me, and it was a good place to start because I was seeing other electrical issues at the time but I didn't put 2 and 2 together. As for replacing the radio, it's a fairly straightforward process for another stock radio. I know the crutchfield website does a great job matching up newer radios, and the install doesn't require a ton of modification as long as you have everything you need and some time to learn.