hi...new here 93 240....trans and alternator question

Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi...new here 93 240....trans and alternator question

I am the proud owner of a "new" 1993 240 sedan. I picked it up for very cheap and have it almost back to great running condition. I have two problems. The first is that the alternator adjustor is broken. I tried tightening the belt the old fashion way with a bar but to no avail so far. If I go to the dealer to get an adjustor, how difficult is it to put in?

Second question. The trans seems to run fine until I get on the highway and it feels as if it needs to shift one more time. I can feel it shift through three gears but I do not know if it has a fourth or overdrive. How can I tell if it is a three speed or a three speed with overdrive?

I searched through the posts and could not find any answers so I am hoping this will get a few for me!

Thank you all!

Paul

Old 06-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I would get the alternater adjuster from a junkyard.

Regarding the transmission, you have a 4-speed. If it is not shifting into 4th, I would check the following:

1) Transmission overdrive relay. These go bad all of the time. You can pull it out, take it apart and re-solder the solder joints on the little circuit board. Or you can get a new one from FCP for somewhere around $30. This relay is just behind the center console. Just take out the glove box and you should see it tucked in the center console to your left.

2) Check the wiring going to the solenoid on the transmission. I think it is a white wire. It should be the only wire running to the trans. Make sure it is not stripped or frayed or broken.

3) If the above check out, then you may need a solenoid in the trans. IPD has a bypass plate for around $35 that basically makes your trans a 4-speed (button on the shifter no longer will work). I have read online about people modifying the solenoid that basically does the same thing.

My experience (so far) is that usually it is one of the first two. Good luck

Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

indeed, its a 4 speed. there should be a button on the side of the shift lever, when pressed once (its a toggle), a yellow 'up arrow' light on the dash lights up, this indicates that your overdrive is disabled, so it will only shift into 1st-2nd-3rd. press it again and the light goes out and it should shift into overdrive (4th) if its in 'D' and you're going fast enough with light throttle (typically somewhere around 45mph with very light throttle and around 65-70 with moderately heavy throttle).

you don't normally have to use this button at all, but its handy to force the car into 3rd when you're going down a long grade, or when you're towing.

as act1292 says, the OD relay can cause it to fail, so can the solenoid thats on the transmission, so a too tight downshift cable (comes off the throttle pulley), and so can bad wiring. the OD relay is an easy fix, the wiring easy or hard (depends on where its failed), and if its the solenoid, as act1292 says, there's a kit to remove/disable the solenoid since its a fairly expensive part.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much. I will attack the alternator this weekend and then deal with diagnosing where the failure is in the transmission. This was great information and I will keep you informed to the progress I make.

By the way, I was impressed with the IPD website!

Paul