Inevitable Powersteering failure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inevitable Powersteering failure?

My powersteering is working well, fluidity wise, and smoothness wise. However sometimes when im doing turns where i turn the wheel more than half crank or almost a full crank, and bring it back, i hear ticks and little pops in the steering, as if the rack is catching on something, or its having trouble, but still feels smooth. Im in need of a front end alignment due to cupping on my tires. But what could be the reason for this. Ive recently changed fluid to Dex/Merc ATF in the steering and seems to turn fine, but this popping and sort of cracking sound is coming through pretty commonly now. Also sometimes i can feel it in the brake pedal as well as accelerator. Any suggestions?

Also, my roommate who is a Domestic car mechanic said that hes never heard of putting ATF in the power steering? Hmmm..

Old 10-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Sway bar end link bushings look at all bushings but that is where I would look first

Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Default hi

Originally Posted by schwalbe181
My powersteering is working well, fluidity wise, and smoothness wise. However sometimes when im doing turns where i turn the wheel more than half crank or almost a full crank, and bring it back, i hear ticks and little pops in the steering, as if the rack is catching on something, or its having trouble, but still feels smooth. Im in need of a front end alignment due to cupping on my tires. But what could be the reason for this. Ive recently changed fluid to Dex/Merc ATF in the steering and seems to turn fine, but this popping and sort of cracking sound is coming through pretty commonly now. Also sometimes i can feel it in the brake pedal as well as accelerator. Any suggestions?

Also, my roommate who is a Domestic car mechanic said that hes never heard of putting ATF in the power steering? Hmmm..
ATF in the p/s old school way in older cars but todays cars use P/S fluid , sounds like a CV joint ,look at the boots and see if they are torn if so change the axel

Old 10-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Much as I love early 90's Volvos...not certain I'd refer to them as "today's cars". Also, they are rear wheel drive so there are no CV joints so there are no CV boots. Most of "today's" power steering fluid is ATF w/o the red dye...just another way to take money from the unknowing. A noticeable exception is Honda power steering fluid which seems to be a proprietorial blend. There are some others as well, but not many that were built 15 years ago...

Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Sway bar links are all brand new. I need to redo the rear bushings, but by far the front is all rubber to metal, no metal to metal. any other ideas. Swift wanna help me out on my other thread?