Kickdown Cable Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kickdown Cable Adjustment?

Guys, I posted in a recent thread that I was having tranny problems. I have since then ripped out the bad tranny and installed another out of a parts car I have.

I'm having one issue though... I'm trying to get my kickdown cable adjusted properly.
I called the local volvo dealer and he told me to slacken the cable until you hear the click in the tranny. I did that but when I go to hook the cable up to the throttle cam it pulls the cable about 1/2 inch out of adjustment or from the seated position. I'm maxed out all the way on my adjustment for cable. It's almost like the outside casing of the cable is too long? Or I need to modify the bracket so it closer to the cam?

Now I have a 87' 740 turbo motor in a 1988 turbo 740 wagon. Are the kickdown cables different in 87' Vs. 88'? Everything looks the same to me?

I purchased a new cable from the volvo dealer yesterday. Should I replace it or am I wasting my time?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra_03
Guys, I posted in a recent thread that I was having tranny problems. I have since then ripped out the bad tranny and installed another out of a parts car I have.

I'm having one issue though... I'm trying to get my kickdown cable adjusted properly.
I called the local volvo dealer and he told me to slacken the cable until you hear the click in the tranny. I did that but when I go to hook the cable up to the throttle cam it pulls the cable about 1/2 inch out of adjustment or from the seated position. I'm maxed out all the way on my adjustment for cable. It's almost like the outside casing of the cable is too long? Or I need to modify the bracket so it closer to the cam?

Now I have a 87' 740 turbo motor in a 1988 turbo 740 wagon. Are the kickdown cables different in 87' Vs. 88'? Everything looks the same to me?

I purchased a new cable from the volvo dealer yesterday. Should I replace it or am I wasting my time?
Don't remove the cable from the throttle cam while adjusting. Leave it hooked up, loosten the adjusting nuts, and pull the slack until it clicks, do it three or four times to be sure (just my OCD way I guess) then tighten it up. Did they tell you to remove the cable from the throttle? I've never done it that way. And both the 87 and 88 model years use the same engine/transmission (B230FT/ AW71) so that is not an issue.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the quick reply cmho2!

If I leave the cable hooked to the throttle cam I don't have enough adjustment to get it to make the "click" sound. I still have another 1/4"-3/8" to go? I'm wondering if the cable could be bad and maybe its damaged were it's hooked to the transmission? Almost like the cable is too short??

I might just replace the Kickdown cable next weekend to be sure. Then go from there.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 PM

Try this method instead - with everything hooked up, loosten the two KD cable locknuts on the throttle spindle. Keep loostening the rear-most nut (closet to firewall) another 1/8" - 1/2". Snug up the front nut, go for a drive and see how the car shifts. It should shift sooner now, and "kickdown" at a higher rpm. If it's not too your liking and you want it to shift at a higher rpm and "kickdown" sooner, loosten up the front lock nut and turn the rear nut out, toward the front of the car. There's really no "correct" adjustment. It's more about where you like it shifting, what fits the way you drive.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O.K, the easy way. Have someone sit in the car with accelerator pedal fully depressed. CHECK YOU ARE GETTING FULL THROTTLE before you go any further. Pull the throttle cable and ensure the throttle wheel can't move further. Adjust as need be. You would be amazed how many cars don't have full throttle......
Now, with accelerator still fully depressed, you can loosen and adjust the kickdown cable, pull the cable till you feel the detent(it's quite firm) and adjust the outer cable so it has just clicked on at full throttle.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Thanks guys, I still need to replace the KD cable then after that I'll take you guys method and get her dialed in! Thanks again guys!