Looking for innovative solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Looking for innovative solution

Vehicle: 1995 Volvo 940 (no turbo)

Problem Summary: Lower Torque Rod retaining bolt was missing and the holes are not aligned for the replacement bolt.

Problem Outline: Upon noticing the Lower Torque Rod was not connected because the bolt which held it there was missing, I bought a replacement bolt to fix the problem. I then raised the rear end on jackstands, enough so to get both wheels off the ground, and attempted to re-align the holes so i could thread the bolt through. Unfortunately the metal piece attached to the passenger side rear axle is angled to far toward the front and the Lower Torque rod is to far to the rear and they do not line up. I am not very vehicle literate at the moment and this is where my problem is, If i could line the Lower Torque Rod up with the mount piece it would make me very happy.

Possible solutions: was thinking about using a vice to pull these pieces closer together then thread the bolt. My consideration before doing so is possible damage to the differential.

Another possible solution I was going to attempt is using a jack to put pressure on the passenger side rear shocks to see if this turns the mounting piece.

Any input on this would be helpful as it is currently raining here so I'm taking a break on it till it lets up.

Problem Solved !! (28Apr2010)

I had noticed as well the panhard passenger side bolt was bent as well indicating that the passenger side axle may have bent toward the rear as a result of driving on it with the lower torque rod off. So i decided to try bending it back...

While the car was on rear jack stands I used the jack I had and placed it directly under the passenger side panhard mounting piece attached to the axle. I then slowly provided pressure to that are using the jack and let the car weight provide the force needed to reverse the rotation of the axle.

Success!!!

I was able to thread the bolt and lower the car before it bent back too far. I have driven about 50 miles and no problems yet.

Thank you for the assistance of using this forum.

Pictures here;
Problem
http://img511.imageshack.us/i/problemms.jpg/

Fixed
http://img405.imageshack.us/i/fixedg.jpg/

Last edited by MarekM; 04-28-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 PM

loosen the three remaining bolts,this will make it easier to align.

Dan

Old 04-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Here is an attempt to use MSPaint to describe the problem.

http://img6.imageshack.us/i/swayarm.png/

I do not see the (3) bolts you speak of.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Look at the pic,are you talking about the torque rod mounting points?Is your car an SE with multi link rear suspension?

Dan

Attached Thumbnails Looking for innovative solution-7rbush.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Wow, yes

Great pic, didn't find one before or in my chiltons. Thanks for providing it.

Yes that is what i was referring to, The Lower torque rod in the diagram is pushed to far to the rear and not lining up with the mounting plate.

What is the best way to re-align this? Where should i put pressure or turn without causing potential damage?

Thank you

(I will alter the original post to show the rightful name)

Last edited by MarekM; 04-26-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 AM

loosen the bolt in the other end of the torque arm,this should relieve some pressure.You can use a large pair of channel locks or vise grips to help pull it in to place.

Dan

Old 04-28-2010, 05:48 PM

Problem Solved !!

I had noticed as well the panhard passenger side bolt was bent as well indicating that the passenger side axle may have bent toward the rear as a result of driving on it with the lower torque rod off. So i decided to try bending it back...

While the car was on rear jack stands I used the jack I had and placed it directly under the passenger side panhard mounting piece attached to the axle. I then slowly provided pressure to that are using the jack and let the car weight provide the force needed to reverse the rotation of the axle.

Success!!!

I was able to thread the bolt and lower the car before it bent back too far. I have driven about 50 miles and no problems yet.

Thank you for the assistance of using this forum.

Pictures here;
Problem
http://img511.imageshack.us/i/problemms.jpg/

Fixed
http://img405.imageshack.us/i/fixedg.jpg/