Metal grinding noise from rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal grinding noise from rear of car

I have a 1993 Volvo 240 wagon that over the past year started giving me a grinding noise. It originally was just minor when the outside temps got below 70 and would only do it for the first few minutes of a drive. It has since become worse. Over the past couple of weeks it has changed quickly. It sounds like metal is grinding and goes with the rotation of the wheels. When under load it used to go away or at least not be as loud. Now it doesn't matter if I am coasting, braking, accelerating. It just gets loud regardless and starts up almost immediately everytime I drive. It does soften as I drive for a few minutes. I have replaced fluid in the differential and cleaned it all out, with no change to sound. Did not notice much metal flake in the fluid drained. Any suggestions. I have checked other postings and others have had similar sounding issues but never post what was done to correct, at least that I have found. Any help would be great as I am down to one car until I figure this out.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:26 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

jack up the back of the car, put it on stands (with the front wheels carefully blocked, of course), release the parking brake and put it in neutral, and manually spin a rear wheel, do you feel any grinding?

if so, try and localize it.

possible candidates are something scraping on/in one of the rear brakes, the drive shaft center bearing and its bushings, or one of the U joints on the drive shaft.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:58 AM

Pierce, I have replaced U-Joints and also the left rear axle bearing at the hub. I have had it in the air a couple times several months ago but had not heard anything. I will do it again and see how it goes. I have not addressed anything with the center bearing, which would have made sense to do several months ago when I replaced U-joints.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:19 AM
no mo volvo

fwiw, our 87 240 has driven about 500k miles, and /never/ needed U joints or wheel bearings. It has, however, needed two center bearings and its rubber bushing.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:24 AM

Thanks. I replaced 2 u-joints (center and rear) because the rear one was coming apart and causing vibration under load. The roller bearings in 2 of the caps were dust. At the time I did them I was also at the earlier stages of the grinding noise and debated the bearing. I did not notice anything wrong with it when spinning the shaft then. I will check it again of course just due to time and the fact that it is much more prevalent at this point.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:18 PM

I got it up during my lunch since I am working from home today. The sound was mainly audible at the right rear wheel. So as a process of elimination I spun it and listened and removed a part at a time. Ultimately I pulled the half shaft out. The bearing that i had replaced in the other side seems to be the culprit.

Video of the bearing here:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5B5A3AE98C226506!40948&authkey=!AF6tVK LE7GTvT3U&ithint=video%2cmp4

Old 02-11-2016, 02:13 PM
no mo volvo

cheap bearing, inadequate or inappropriate grease, or incorrect setup (too tight or too loose) all could cause premature bearing failure.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by pierce
cheap bearing, inadequate or inappropriate grease, or incorrect setup (too tight or too loose) all could cause premature bearing failure.
I am the 2nd owner of this 240 and bought it in 2013. The bearings I already replaced on the driver side were Volvo and I put Volvo back. These ones that I just removed appear to be Volvo as well. Possibly the originals. I haven't seen these go bad that often. But new bearings on their way and Monday, hopefully when I get them, I will get them back on and all will be good. I will definitely make sure, as I did with the other side, that they get greased properly/thoroughly with a good product.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have the same metal grinding noise in my 1993 Volvo wagon but only happens when tem

I get same kind of noise only when temperatures drop to freezing or below or if snow. Happens only then.

QUOTE=pucks850t;426610]I have a 1993 Volvo 240 wagon that over the past year started giving me a grinding noise. It originally was just minor when the outside temps got below 70 and would only do it for the first few minutes of a drive. It has since become worse. Over the past couple of weeks it has changed quickly. It sounds like metal is grinding and goes with the rotation of the wheels. When under load it used to go away or at least not be as loud. Now it doesn't matter if I am coasting, braking, accelerating. It just gets loud regardless and starts up almost immediately everytime I drive. It does soften as I drive for a few minutes. I have replaced fluid in the differential and cleaned it all out, with no change to sound. Did not notice much metal flake in the fluid drained. Any suggestions. I have checked other postings and others have had similar sounding issues but never post what was done to correct, at least that I have found. Any help would be great as I am down to one car until I figure this out.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-18-2020, 03:02 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Brakes is the first thing I'd check, including the shoes of the emergency brakes...