need help my oil is gone?

Old 07-05-2013, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help my oil is gone?

Positive crank case pressure on 94 940 turbo. Have all new PVC oil/oil separator, vacuum hose lines all checked. Oil lost going through a good bit of oil. but no engine smoke ,no oil n back window there is some oil in the turbo, but doesn't make it to the motor. Have been changing all the normal seals oil still is disappearing the only evidence that I can see is coming out of the oil cap, once again new cap car has 180000 miles.I would love some good advice. Thank you

Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by buicknut494
Positive crank case pressure on 94 940 turbo. Have all new PVC oil/oil separator, vacuum hose lines all checked. Oil lost going through a good bit of oil. but no engine smoke ,no oil n back window there is some oil in the turbo, but doesn't make it to the motor. Have been changing all the normal seals oil still is disappearing the only evidence that I can see is coming out of the oil cap, once again new cap car has 180000 miles.I would love some good advice. Thank you
If it's not leaking then you are burning it. It's the only 2 things that can happen. And if you are losing a lot it should be visible either on the motor or under the car. Fill it up , check the dipstick and start it up. Let it idle or drive it around the block. Turn it off and check again. If down you are burning it . Maybe the turbo is on it's way out. They usually last to around 100K miles.
PS what is all of this COLOR= blue stuff in your note.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:56 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

It's not in the cooling system, right? Sometimes head gasket problems will do that.

How bad is the blow out from the oil fill opening?
Also, specify the oil loss: how much are you losing and how fast. Even if not on the dipstick, you'd still have around 3 qts in the pan... Measure the loss accurately.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:59 PM

to start with I have not done anything with the car other then change the oil the last 3 years. My wife has been driving it and it had a oil leak not real severe or at least it wasn't bad enough to look into. The car would stall out on her and only her every now and then. So I started to drive the car to see if it would break down on me replaced the intake tube to mass mas to turbo first part replaced this was bad ripped and spongy, gained allot of power after. Thought all was good. Then started really pushing oil out of the top of the motor from the oil cap. Found out you are suppose to replaced the gasket so replaced the cap and gasket, and at the same time by tube for the PVC replaced and the vaccumm from the intake and the little elbow replaced. Replaced the oil sperator now with new o ring. Getting vaccumm out of the intake to the PVC. Gave it a complete tune up with new seals on the distributor which was also leaking. On the good note my rear main is not leaking nor my cam seals leaking. This has been within the last 2 months. I have powerwashed the motor weekly to keep on top of any new oil leaks is coming and developing.

With that my most recent is pushing through the new seal on the oil cap. I do have some oil that you can see when you take the tube to the turbo to the inter-cooler you can see a little oil on the turbo side. When I take the oil fuel cap off I do not have a negative pressure. It is not a big positive just off idle. Car does not smoke or push oil out of the tailpipe. This I now I had let the car go unwashed for a period of time to check this.

The car runs great at least I think I have not drove anyone elses to compare. I am getting 19 miles per gallon. Is that right?

Hope this will give you adequite information.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 PM
lev

You still need to check the actual OIL LOSS to see if there is a problem. Top off the oil to the FULL mark, note the mileage, drive, say 100 miles and check the oil level again. Make sure car is on a flat spot, and check the oil either HOT or COLD every time to keep things consistent. Then drive another 100 miles, and so on, and keep checking it. The rest of what you describe doesn't sound too alarming.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 AM

the only evidence that I can see is coming out of the oil cap and it is just a wet look. that is cold hot and a ton of rain.i go back and forth to work some rout same times.and drive same.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 AM
lev

Wet oil cap is not evidence of anything except a minor oil leak due to a bad seal at the cap.
WHAT IS THE ACTUAL RATE OF OIL LOSS?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:20 PM

it can be for .0001 to 2.5qts per 2 days going to work and home.its is never the same.it can go 7+days no oil lose

Old 07-06-2013, 07:38 PM
lev

So, from NONE to 2.5 qts per two days?

You don't mention actual miles driven but hopefully you mean that the loss is quite variable so that sometimes you have no loss for as many as seven days while at other times you could lose as many as 2.5 qts. over the same driving routine.

Sorry, but this scenario seems quite incredible and I doubt that it can be explained within the frame of known automotive technology.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I suspect the turbo is starting to go. There needs to be other tests to determine what is happening . I would start with a compression test followed by a leak down test. Do you know if the turbo has been replaced or is it the original. As I mentioned if there isn't any major leaks then you are blowing it out the exhaust. Did you ever have anyone follow you at city and highway speeds to see if they see or smell oil coming out of your exhaust.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Now Jagtoes, that i have over looked,I will do that.i will follow my wife.