New to the forums/backdoor (not that one) problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forums/backdoor (not that one) problem

Hey everyone! I'm now the owner of an '85 240DL and though it's been in my brother's/my possession for over a year it just recently got handed down to me as I moved to FL from CA. Anyways, the trunk does not open from the outside because the keyhole is not functional (common issue I hear). So I have to crawl in and open it from the inside whenever I need it open and it's done by pulling the exposed metal mechanism towards me, inside the back of the car.

I haven't taken a VERY good look at the issue so I hope that in those words someone can visualize the issue since I'm not sure how common it is so what I ask is if anyone knows of an informative resource online on how to fix such a thing, or if anyone has personal experience themselves.

I hope to post a lot more on here and contribute to the forums (work deprioritizes the forum unfortunately) but I am somewhat of a new owner still so I also hope to learn a bit. Thanks everyone!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

is the trunk hard locked, such that the key slot is horizontal, and the button won't push in at all? or is it 'soft locked' so the button goes in/out but doesn't engage the latch?

Also, there's two sets of keys for these cars, the 'valet' key won't even fit into the trunk or glovebox locks, while the regular key works everything. both keys have the same cut, they use different blanks, the trunk and glovebox locks have and extra ridge in them so the valet key won't fit in them at all.

first thing I'd try is some liquid graphite, like Lock-Ease... squirt a bit in the lock, run the key in/out a bunch, squirt some more in, wiggle the key, repeat, and see if the lock will turn.

does this car have central locking (drivers door key or **** locks/unlocks all the doors?) ? even if it doesn't... if the trunk is "soft locked", above the latch there should be a little slider in a curved slot in the upper mount tab of the latch mechansim, flipping that to the other side should unlock it. if its hard locked, that does nothing.

they changed the trunk lock in 1986, and I only have a 1987 to look at so I can't be much more help.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:42 PM

'85 has a separate key for the trunk, much smaller than the door key. Also no push button, turn the key, the trunk unlocks and unlatches.

Sounds like the later models had a significant change, based on what you describe for your '87.

Does the key go into the slot and turn or not? I would think you are either dealing with a bad lock cylinder, or the lock mechanism has become detached from the latch mechanism. If you can't turn the key, then the cylinder is probably bad (or you have the wrong key). If the mechanism turns fine, then there is probably something broken or disconnected with the latch mechanism.

If it wasn't pouring rain I'd go have a look at mine. The electric lock for the trunk on mine doesn't work so I have to use the key. It is on my to do list and probably somewhat related to your issue.

I'm curious how you are accessing the trunk from inside, have I missed that these cars rear seats fold down for access into the trunk?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:28 PM
no mo volvo

yeah, the 86+ sedans have a completely different trunk latch... its the main key, and the lock cylinder is in the middle of a flush rectangular chrome 'button' which is the trunk release. as I described, there's both a hard and soft lock mode.

this is our 87 a few years ago...

Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 AM

Yeah, just a simple round key hole like the door lock on the '85.

BTW great license plate.

I notice you lost all the caps on your wheels too. Wish someone made replacements. Might be a job for 3d printing.

I had a look at my trunk lock, I still think it comes back to either something is disconnected or the cylinder is bad there just isn't that much going on in there to go wrong.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:48 AM
no mo volvo

does the key turn but nothing happens, or does it not turn at all ?

Old 12-18-2014, 03:00 PM

Sorry, no my key works fine. I was just having a look to see if I could see what problems Tampa 240 might be facing.

My issue is with the electric lock. Door locks work fine, but the truck release just makes a noise but doesn't release. I'm guessing it is an adjustment issue or something came loose. That is going to be a two person job so I can watch it while someone else pushes the button.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I just got back into town so I am going to give it a quick look and i'll upload to a few pictures to give some visuals as well. It's interesting that after '85 the latch/locks were redesigned.