New to Volvo, have 745 Turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Volvo, have 745 Turbo questions

Hi all,

I have a lot of Mercedes Benz and some BMW knowledge, but I am totally new to Swedish Steel. I do learn quickly though.

I am looking at a 1991 745 Turbo ( see I already know the wagon version of the 740 is a 745)

It is at a used car lot.

I am wondering if you guys have a checklist of things to look over when inspecting the car.

On a MB things like the climate control, window lifts, and rear glass are problematic.
I am looking for things I would not necessarily think of.

The car has 132K on the odometer and looks like the body is in good shape - no visible rust in the pictures, looks pretty straight, etc

What should I look for in the engine room?

Any gotchas under the rear carpets?

How is the wiring in these cars?

etc, etc...

I am buying this as a college commuter car for my son who will be doing 60 miles round trip it it a day. This is almost all highway.
He also wants to go kayaking so I figured the wagon body style would be best.

I would rather he be in a Volvo than in a Jeep or other small SUV.

Thanks a lot!

Joe

Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 AM

Hi Joe,
I am also new to these cars, I just purchased a 945T wagon. I have previous Saab and VW experience, but not Volvo...

They seem to be fairly simple cars. From what I know, just check for any Oil leaks, from what I am told the distributor seal on the back of the head will leak sometimes. (As with any seal on a car of that age and mileage.)

Make sure when turning the key all the warning lights come on, ABS, SRS, etc.. and that they all go out once the car starts. Just to be sure all the systems are operational and that nobody removed the bulbs for the warning lights.

If it has sunroof, make sure it vents and opens smoothly, as with the windows..

Check to be sure the AC blows cold (and the clutch engages on the compressor) and check Cruise control operation.

Also be sure if it is an automatic, that the car shifts normally into the overdrive 4th gear.

These are just some general checks you can do, I am sure some of the Volvo experts will reply shortly. They are fairly simple vehicles. No expensive computerized climate control systems, etc... There is a ton of room in the engine bay, so you can see all you need to and replace what you need to when (and if) the time comes.

I am happy with my purchase, it is a good, solid, car. Hope it works out ofr you!

Steve

Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 AM

Thanks, Steve.

How are the turbos in these cars? My MB Diesels all have turbos, but are these also intercooled?

Are they tough or should I be looking at shaft play, etc...

Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 PM

You are welcome... I have only had experience with the Saab Turbo's, but as with any, just listen for any abnormal sounds (mine is silent on the 940) check for any smoke from the tail pipe, look at the turbo gauge when you are accelerating.

Not sure if they are exceptionally prone to any shaft play though. Also if it has any maintenance receipts at least you can see how well it has been taken care of. Also, when you remove the oil filler cap, you can see the cam lobes, so if they look clean and there isn't a ton of gunk built up, that would be a pretty good indicator as to how often the oil has been changed.

You will see that under the hood is far less complex than in your MB, or BMW, Saab or even a VW... I think when you drive it, you'll just know if it is a good sound car or not. Keep us posted... When are you going to look at it?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:43 AM

I looked at it yesterday.
The car has great acceleration and the turbo spools quickly and pushes right to the top of the boot gauge.
The body seems solid with no rust!

However, there are some issues...

The exhaust sounds like it is starting to fail unless the turbo wagons all sound like rice-racers It looks factory so it probably has a hole or two in it.

The moonroof does not work, but it feels like the switch is broken.

The AC does not work

The right rear window does not work

There is a broken tail light

The hatch struts hold the hatch up nicely, but seem to give up about 1/2 way down and so the hatch slams shut.

It idles rough, feels like a vacuum leak or it could be an idle control valve if the Bosch set up is anything like my BMW's

but the big thing is that there is a pulsation in the steering when you drive. It does not seem to effect the handling, which is tight and controlled, but it is there. The dealer said it is probably an out of round tire, and the front left was low.

I will be going back today to look at it after he pumps the tires full of air....

My questions are:

How expensive are these parts for a 1991?
How easily can I replace the window motor in the back door? I have done this on the S Class MB and it is not fun...
Is his explanation of the steering pulse BS?
Is the car worth $1500?

There is another Volvo on his lot, a 1997 850.
I am going to look at that one today.
It seems like it is in better shape, although the right turn signal is broken and it is missing the middle AC ****!

Anybody know of things to look for on the FWD Volvos?
(I'll post a question on the right forum...)

Heck, if they are both decent I might get the two of them and retire the '84 BMW!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 AM

Hey Joe,

That seems like a lot of things wrong for $1500. If you are handy and can replace all of those items yourself and you can get it for like $500 then its not bad. I paid $1400 for my 1994 945T (160k miles) and the only thing wrong with mine that you have listed is the hatch struts are weak when it is cold out only. No rough idle, AC blows cold, Sunroof works, all windows work, exhaust is intact. etc... If the body and interior are in great condition and you are handy, the parts shouldn't be too expensive. I would definitely make a low offer, outlining all that is wrong with it. AC (if its important to you) can be an expensive fix by itself.

I would imagine that the FWD Volvo's are more expensive to maintain and harder to work on just do to the increased complexity.

Hope someone with more experience can offer some more insight for you!