new waterpump is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third time's the charm

Thanks to all you guys. Finally got the waterpump to work and not leak. Some observations:
1) While Volvo suggests going with a dry gasket, use of the Permatex black silicone gasket sealant is more forgiving. Meaning there are still imperfections on the mating surfaces, and the gasket sealant fills in those miniscule gaps. Spread thinly, as Lev suggested. Also, the black silicone spreads on easily, unlike the Permatex High Tack gasket sealant I first used. I let the black silicone set up for 2 hours before pouring in the coolant. Then, I let it cure for ~21 hours before starting the engine. Thanks, Lev.
2) It's important to tighten in a "star" pattern. Labeling upper left fastener (nut) as #1 and counting clockwise (looking from front of engine), then the numbers go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Tighten as 1, 4, 2, 5, 3. Thanks for reminding me, ModifierWong.
3) The aftermarket o-ring and paper gasket seem fine. The aftermarket hat gasket had a large tear in its side, and that's why I had a big leak from the hat gasket. I went back to the original OEM hat gasket, even though I used it once, and that worked. And, this time I put Vaseline on the o-ring and hat gasket. Comparing the aftermarket hat gasket to the OEM, the latter seems better made. Thanks, Pierce.
4) Another thing that worked for me. After inserting the waterpump on the studs, lightly put on the nuts. Then, being sure that the hat gasket goes under the cylinder head protrusion, insert #4 fastener and lift up waterpump so that the bolt bites. To get the #2 fastener (bolt) to bite, push down on left hose snout and pull up on front pulley mount.
(I’m including all these instructions, not for you guys, but for those who have trouble with the waterpump replacement or for neophytes.)

Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I'd chime in after I fixed up the seals on my water pump.

I originally used a Proparts Sweden gasket set. As Fred says, the paper gasket was fine. The rubber hat gasket looked fine, but just didn't cut it.

I purchased a Victor Reinz Hat gasket and the proparts Sweden gasket set for my second fix, using the Proparts paper gasket and Reinz hat gasket. The Reinz gasket was noticeably taller and better made, making a better seal against the block. It also made the pump significantly more difficult to install. But at the end of the day there's no leaks and a happy customer.