'Normal' flame trap clog?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 PM
JTK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Normal' flame trap clog?

I have a '92 740 B230F and I recently noticed that the large vent hose for the flame trap had a decent size split at the trap end. When I went to replace the hose I then noticed that the flame trap was completely blocked with some substance that I didn't realize a car could produce (See picture attached).

The substance is a pale yellow and has pudding like consistency. My question is, is this a 'normal' clog that would result from having a split in the flame trap hose? If so, would it be worth replacing the oil trap in the future? Assuming that it too is clogged?

Thank you for any comments.

JTK

Attached Thumbnails 'Normal' flame trap clog?-flame-trap-clog.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sick nasty...

What does it smell like? Oil, coolant? That looks like an oil and coolant mixture, which should not be in there(the coolant).

Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it looks like there is coolant in the oil which is a sign of a blown head gasket.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Condensation build up in the crankcase. Usually not a problem. Comes from taking to many short trips . How does the inside of your oil cap look. Replace the flame trap and hoses. Change the oil and give it a good run.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:13 PM
JTK

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Condensation build up in the crankcase. Usually not a problem. Comes from taking to many short trips . How does the inside of your oil cap look. Replace the flame trap and hoses. Change the oil and give it a good run.
I do take a lot of short trips these days. I checked the inside of the oil cap, seal looks good and inside is clean, oil looks fine too. I'll swap out the flame trap assembly with a new kit and try and be better about checking it with every oil change.

In regards to the condensation in the crankcase, what are the likely points of entry? Oil filler cap and head gasket? I guess sometime in the near future I should run a compression test to check the condition of the head gasket.

Thanks so much for the help. I try and post an update once I get around to checking the head gasket (new year = new allotment of vacation days).

JTK

Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM
JTK

Originally Posted by Burn Stains
Sick nasty...

What does it smell like? Oil, coolant? That looks like an oil and coolant mixture, which should not be in there(the coolant).
It smells like oil. There may be some hints of coolant but it's hard to say as the oil smell is strongest. Someone had posted about the head gasket leaking. I will try and test this theory when I get a chance.

Thanks for the input,

JTK

Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JTK
I do take a lot of short trips these days. I checked the inside of the oil cap, seal looks good and inside is clean, oil looks fine too. I'll swap out the flame trap assembly with a new kit and try and be better about checking it with every oil change.

In regards to the condensation in the crankcase, what are the likely points of entry? Oil filler cap and head gasket? I guess sometime in the near future I should run a compression test to check the condition of the head gasket.

Thanks so much for the help. I try and post an update once I get around to checking the head gasket (new year = new allotment of vacation days).

JTK
FYI
Condensation in the Oil System
This is more common than you might think. A weather change from warm, moist weather to cold weather or repeated frost (condensation) on the vehicle and frequent high dew points can create moisture to form in the crankcase. This can appear as condensation in the oil system and under the valve covers. Most of the time vehicles are driven long and far enough so that this condensation is burned off thanks to the heat of the engine. However a vehicle that is not driven very far and does not reach full running temperature for very long may not purge out the moisture. Vehicles that are not driven frequently and sit outside can also acquire moisture in the oil system. When these vehicles are driven, the engine generates some heat during the short drive, then cools. The trapped moisture condensates on the coolest part of the engine, the valve cover and oil cap. Repeated short trips will leave behind more and more moisture on these cooler parts. You then open the cap and discover this milky white buildup of creamy mocha colored slim.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM
JTK

Originally Posted by jagtoes
FYI
Condensation in the Oil System
This is more common than you might think. A weather change from warm, moist weather to cold weather or repeated frost (condensation) on the vehicle and frequent high dew points can create moisture to form in the crankcase. This can appear as condensation in the oil system and under the valve covers. Most of the time vehicles are driven long and far enough so that this condensation is burned off thanks to the heat of the engine. However a vehicle that is not driven very far and does not reach full running temperature for very long may not purge out the moisture. Vehicles that are not driven frequently and sit outside can also acquire moisture in the oil system. When these vehicles are driven, the engine generates some heat during the short drive, then cools. The trapped moisture condensates on the coolest part of the engine, the valve cover and oil cap. Repeated short trips will leave behind more and more moisture on these cooler parts. You then open the cap and discover this milky white buildup of creamy mocha colored slim.
Thank you for the detailed explanation; it is always helpful to know how these things work.

JTK