Passenger seat won't move on one side, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger seat won't move on one side, HELP!

I'm posting this in the 940 section in due to most likely there being parts similarity for this problem. Hope that's O.K.

O.K. I've got a '93 960 wagon, my wife is due with my first Son any day know, and I don't want my Son riding in her"crushed like a tin can Toyota" if you know what I mean. Keep him in the Swedish Tank.

The passenger seat will not move on one side when you press the seat bottom forward, the left side, as you are sitting in the seat moves BACKWARDS not forwards, and when you press it to move backwards, it moves, again, only the left side, but FORWARDS.

I really hope someone knows how to fix this, please let me know how I can repair this, I'm good with tools, but not an expert mechanic, and disabled, but I could possibly remove the seat if I needed to.

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

It is all in here:
Interior: Seats, Etc

Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case you're still working on this...I've run into it several times. The page that lev mentioned earlier is great; make sure to go to this section of it: Interior: Seats, Etc. If you don't shorten the sheath or lengthen the cable, it'll work its way out again, and you'll be taking the seat out once more. Of course you have to remove the seat from the car before doing any of this. If you've never removed a seat before, there are 4 bolts, the rear ones being harder to reach when the seat motor isn't functioning properly. After the 4 bolts are removed, you have to slide the seat backwards about an inch before you can lift it out of the car, because of the mushroom-shaped retainers on the bottom of the rails. You can slide the seat back by sitting in the seat and shifting your weight backwards (not too fast or you'll end up on your back when the seat comes free).

Old 11-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, still have not done it.

Thanks everyone, yes I still have not done this...baby was due on the 21st. and we are still waiting, I wasn't aware I'd have to take the seat out, I wanted to get it out cause me and the wife are not exactly small people, I'm 6'5", she's 6'1", so the Swedes make cars we can drive, and that's about it. Her belly is SOO big, I was getting sick of trying to watch her fit in that seat without it moving, course now with a baby seat in the back, and the baby out...still, I'd like her to be able to fit without bending her knees. I'm all torso, so my stubby legs are fine, but my seat back is so far back when I look left, I'm looking out of the rear passenger window......If they didn't make Volvos, and Saabs(I hope)...I'd be assed out.

I'm disabled, when I was in my 20's I'd have just started taking things apart until it was fixed, of course back then this would have been a brand new car...spine tumors suck.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be able to be done from the top, without removing the seat. You'll have to take the seat bottom cushion out, and then remove the spring and wire assembly below it. To get the cushion out, you have to remove the c-shaped metal clips that clamp the front and rear of the cushion around the metal frame bars; a small flat head screwdriver will help, and count on chewing up the leather there just a bit. The spring assembly will probably be the most difficult, but if you pry the springs off one at a time that should work. Just be prepared for some work putting the springs back on. After you have all of that out, you can probably access the motors and drive cables that move the seat, and by pushing the buttons you'll be able to tell which drive cable isn't doing its job turning a gear. For me it has always been the middle one I think, which faces the rail and can only be accessed by removing the whole motor assembly from the rail. You'll need a torx bit I believe for the plate that holds the drive cable in place, and probably a 13mm socket for the nuts that hold the assembly to the rail. Count on a good couple of hours, but time well spent when you're able to move your seat afterward. Best of luck with the seat and with the new addition to your family.