Power seat hell on 93 945

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power seat hell on 93 945

I've searched far and wide but can't quite find the right help. Power seat was working fine, took seat out for repairs and cleaning and what do you know it doesn't work anymore. Actually, i was able to move it all the way forward and now it's dead. So, calibration or diagnostic code issue? Or control module blew? Module looks fine inside and i have another on way. Constant and switched 12V and grounds are fine. What about the switching mechanism? Do they tend to fail? This is the memory seat version control. Thought it was a nice fe a ture to have but now I long for a simpler setup. Just my luck

Old 08-13-2023, 08:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The 960 seats, which are very similar if not identical, we're notorious for the drive cables from the motors slipping out of their seats. You can see if that's the problem by turning on the key, sliding your hand under the seat so you can touch each of the 3 motors and see if they vibrate as you move the control switches. Here's a video that shows how to fix them -
That happened to a friend's 960. My 940 didn't have a cable problem but would not respond,like yours. And it turned out to be the control unit on the side of the seat. I switched that with one from the local pick n pull and it works. I tested the seat by jumping a 12 volt wire directly to each motor and they worked. So it was obviously the control unit. You can take the seat out and open the control unit and try cleaning it but there's a lot of springs and loose parts when you open one of those units. It's easy to lose some parts that way.

Old 08-14-2023, 06:54 AM

[QUOTE=Moetheshmoe;526169]The 960 seats, which are very similar if not identical, we're notorious for the drive cables from the motors slipping out of their seats. You can see if that's the problem by turning on the key, sliding your hand under the seat so you can touch each of the 3 motors and see if they vibrate as you move the control switches. Here's a video that shows how to fix them -
That happened to a friend's 960. My 940 didn't have a cable problem but would not respond,like yours. And it turned out to be the control unit on the side of the seat. I switched that with one from the local pick n pull and it works. I tested the seat by jumping a 12 volt wire directly to each motor and they worked. So it was obviously the control unit. You can take the seat out and open the control unit and try cleaning it but there's a lot of springs and loose parts when you open one of those units. It's easy to lose some parts that

Definitely not a mechanic problem. Motors, cables, etc all good. Hopefully it's the control box but i'm just guessing at this point. It looks perfectly fine inside and I can't get the switches to register anything on my DVOM. Fingers crossed i suppose

Old 08-17-2023, 05:02 PM

Ok, the seat control wire was unplugged. It actually is a complete harness with a plug at the control box and another at the on the circuit board for the switches/controls. Wow, a modern car would never have this. Probably would add $10 per car to do it this way. It must have been getting looser and looser as the years went by and me taking seat out was enough to unplug it all the way. If you see any of the wires going to that circuit board than yours is loose too. The black conduit needs to be pinched between the circuit board and the seat trim. It is the strain relief needed to keep plug in. Whew! Hope that helps someone someday