Replacing tranny seal and bearing; tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing tranny seal and bearing; tips?

The world is crazed but Volvo's still need to be fixed. 1986 240 DL here. I'm going to replace the rear fluid seal on the tranny and replace the bearing on the driveshaft which I suspect is what is making the undercarriage rattle starting out or coming to a stop. Just raised the car up on jacks and had a friend run the engine and make the wheels turn. This made the bearing jump up and down like crazy.

I have heard - somewhere - that in the tranny 'extension', a removable metal sandwhich that bolts to the end of the tranny, that there is a fluid seal AND a centering bushing in there, both needing replacing. Anyone know if this is correct? Looking for any tips on prep or glitches that can come up. Also, since I'll be in the mess, thinking of replacing the seal on the rear axle where the drive shaft attaches. In the manual it looks buried in there and difficult to get at. ??? Thanks, Dagaan

Old 03-21-2019, 05:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagaan
The world is crazed but Volvo's still need to be fixed. 1986 240 DL here. I'm going to replace the rear fluid seal on the tranny and replace the bearing on the driveshaft which I suspect is what is making the undercarriage rattle starting out or coming to a stop. Just raised the car up on jacks and had a friend run the engine and make the wheels turn. This made the bearing jump up and down like crazy.

I have heard - somewhere - that in the tranny 'extension', a removable metal sandwhich that bolts to the end of the tranny, that there is a fluid seal AND a centering bushing in there, both needing replacing. Anyone know if this is correct? Looking for any tips on prep or glitches that can come up. Also, since I'll be in the mess, thinking of replacing the seal on the rear axle where the drive shaft attaches. In the manual it looks buried in there and difficult to get at. ??? Thanks, Dagaan
If there is transmission fluid on the transmission flange then you need to replace the tail shaft bearing and rear seal. If it is dry I wouldn't do anything. As for the center bearing it's not to much of a problem when the drive shaft is out. On the differential seal unless it's leaking leave it alone.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Jagtoes - So, there's two bearing on the drive shaft? One at the end of the tranny and one in the middle of the shaft? Oh, it's leaking alright as the fluid is always going down and it's probably never been replaced in 33 years. But the big concern is the shaking up and down of the whole drive shaft on starting out slow or coming to a stop. it's shaking like two inches up and down. I thiink the center bearing must be nearly seized. Thanks for your reply!

Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 PM

Jagtoes - So, there's two bearing on the drive shaft? One at the end of the tranny and one in the middle of the shaft? Oh, it's leaking alright as the fluid is always going down and it's probably never been replaced in 33 years. But the big concern is the shaking up and down of the whole drive shaft on starting out slow or coming to a stop. it's shaking like two inches up and down. I thiink the center bearing must be nearly seized. Thanks for your reply!
The center bearing is in a rubber doughnut with a spring. If the bearing is seized then it will spin in the doughnut and destroy it. So just replace the doughnut and bearing. It's a simple job. 4 bolts on each end of the driveshaft at the U joints and a couple on the center bearing mount and it is out. As for the transmission tail shaft Bushing (bearing) just remove the nut on the end of the transmission flange and pull out the tail shaft. Unbolt the transmission tail shaft housing and remove the rear seal. Then press out the bushing and put the new one in and reassemble. Pretty simple job. Just do it

Old 03-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Jagtoes, Great. Thanks a bunch. The way you describe it it's even simpler than I thought. As long as I'm in there I'm thinking to relubricate the universals which just seems practical on a 33 year old car.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:55 PM

Jagtoes, Great. Thanks a bunch. The way you describe it it's even simpler than I thought. As long as I'm in there I'm thinking to relubricate the universals which just seems practical on a 33 year old car.
If the drive shaft is bouncing around and the U joints are old you may just want to replace them too.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 AM

Jagtoes - Yeah, you're right. If the pin bearings look ok lubricating will probably do it. Have you done the drive shaft removal yourself? Wondering if I can do it alone without damaging the new seal - while bolting the rear universal to the flange and then add the middle support for the bearing.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Jagtoes - Yeah, you're right. If the pin bearings look ok lubricating will probably do it. Have you done the drive shaft removal yourself? Wondering if I can do it alone without damaging the new seal - while bolting the rear universal to the flange and then add the middle support for the bearing.
At 375K miles on my wife's car I have done U joints and center bearings along with transmission bushings and seal several times. I do all of my own work but I also have a 4 post lift in my garage so removing the drive shaft is pretty easy for me. I usually remove the front flange and then the rear flange and then the center bearing bracket and while holding it ease it down to the floor. It's not a heavy assembly. The seals are done without the drive shaft attached . I don't know how you can damage a seal as they are fixed and the tail shaft and diff. flanges do not move and are not part of the drive shaft assembly.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Nice to have a four post lift! You've replaced these seals and universals 'a number of times' ? I had no idea they needed that much attention. I was just worried that as the first thing that will happen on re-assembly is inserting the drive shaft into the transmission, then, until the bearing bracket is bolted on, the shaft could hang and damage the seal. But I suppose once inserted in the tranny, that won't happen. Thanks Jagtoes.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:38 PM

Nice to have a four post lift! You've replaced these seals and universals 'a number of times' ? I had no idea they needed that much attention. I was just worried that as the first thing that will happen on re-assembly is inserting the drive shaft into the transmission, then, until the bearing bracket is bolted on, the shaft could hang and damage the seal. But I suppose once inserted in the tranny, that won't happen. Thanks Jagtoes.
The drive shaft does NOT get inserted into the transmission. It bolts on to a flange on the tail shaft of the transmission. No stress on the seal.