S90/960 seat leathers on a 740's frames?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:34 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default S90/960 seat leathers on a 740's frames?

I have a 92 745T that needs its seats rebuilt... I have a line on some very nice leather skins and foam pieces from a S90, and wondering if anyone knows how well they might fit on my 740's seat frames?

I'll probably take the pieces to an auto upholster to fit and install, pulling the seats out of my car, stripping them of the old leather... maybe if I get that far I'll realize its not that hard of a job to complete myself, I dunno. luckily, I have a spare car to drive while doing this

Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the newer seats not just bolt right in?

I unfortunately don't not know the direct answer to your question, I would think that they would swap right out. If they did that, I would think that they would probably be the same. I've had my seats apart a few times so here are some pointers:

You'll want to separate the back from the bottom. It's two bolts on either side on the base. Watch out for the electricals.

The head rests have a release you can feel around for in the back of the seat just under the top hard crossbar on the back rest. Press them and pull up on the head rest.

The bottom skin in held in the front and back by flat metal strips that run through a sewed up strip. You pull this black spring clip in the middle so you can bow them and release them from the edges.

There are also two clips that hold the pad to the base in the bottom on either side. They are like an s-hook.

The rest it my least favorite part: hog rings. Along the sides and throughout the pad are hog rings. They are a metal c shaped piece that is closed with special pliers. I opened them and closed them with some sturdy pliers (and a flat screwdriver). I found the Harbor Freight hog ring pliers to be totally worthless.

The little plastic thing on the side is a little tough to get off. There's a screw in the back, but the front has this funny button thing that snaps into place. You have to push it back and force the plastic over it.

None of this it too difficult. It takes some time, but hopefully this will help it go faster for you.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the newer seats would bolt right in... except they are on the wrong coast and would cost $100s to ship intact, plus the guy parting the S90 out hooked them up and said the motors were dead. its a lot easier to ship the leather and cushions and leave the 100 lb frames behind. anyways, my car has manual seats, and these are memory power, so I'd need to install the memory controllers, and run power for them assuming they did work.

I've been looking locally for seats for my 745 now for a year without any luck.

I've done hog rings before, got some proper hog ring pliers at the local Orchard Supply Hardware, with a bag of the rings, worked great. I used them to install a set of IPD fabric seat covers on our old 240 (now my daughters car). and I've had the plastic tray on the side off before (actually, it wasn't installed properly until I reinstalled it )

Old 01-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, skills are no question. I prefer manual seats. I have a 740 seat frame sitting around, but no actual experience with the interior of and s90 seat. You could tear apart a totally trashed seat in a junk yard and compare.