Shorted Ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorted Ignition?

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing the overdrive relay in a '93 240 wagon. My challenge is that I shorted the glove box light and now the car won't even start.

No fuses in the fuse box are blown. No fuses under the hood are blown. And, the Haynes manual does not supply me with a reliable wiring diagram for my year, so I can't check color codes and all that.

Among the symptoms: 1) With doors closed and key turned to engage ignition, I get that annoying door 'bell' going off until I turn the key back to the off position. 2) The glove box bulb 'appears' to be good still. Weird. 3) When I turn the key to start I was getting the click-click-click of the fuel relay switch until I changed that out. (got a bunch at the junkyard for $5.00 apiece - don't like the hefty price tags for these relays at the stores.) And, 4) I can't lock the doors (all of them) from the driver's door anymore and must secure them individually.

The wire coming off the glove box bulb housing is green. I followed it back to the mess behind the center console and have no idea what's going on there.

Thanks all,

eric

Old 01-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Default RE: Shorted Ignition?

Check fuse 8.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks blue goose.....the fuse was blown, but that still didn't remedy the situation. Guess what else was the culprit? LOL - I had removed the housing for the shifter because I couldn't reach the bottom two screws on the center console, and, somehow, I had managed to bump the shifter out of the nylon insert on the right side and so it was behaving like a neutral safety switch dilemma - oi ve, what a hassle all these circuits are.

Also, the doors still don't lock as a unit when I key lock the car or push down on the driver's lock shaft, so, I am almost certain that I fried the relay for that as well. LOL.

Thanks again for suggesting the #8 fuse. I think I'll change them all out as they all look very thin. =0P

Well, it's off to the junkyard for more relays.

Peace

and

Many thanks BG.

eric

Old 01-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Glad you found the bad fuse. I think the '93 still has the two relays for locking and unlocking the doors. They get old. Wouldn't hurt to have a spare or two.

You're lucky to have a JY nearby.