Single pump mod 1991 240 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Single pump mod 1991 240 wagon

Ok so I ahve been doing a lot of reading here good stuff!
I think I want to do the single pump mod on my Moms wagon now I have not seen her car in like 7 years or so and I need to find out if the how the lines are connected to the filter, according to this how to

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ghlight=walbro

You have to run the new line (rubber EFI hose) to the filter.
Now my question is are there hose connections at the ends of the filter?
is the OD 5/16"? is it really a rubber fuel line? (i just thought that FI pressure was really high) or do I need to buy some kind of a adapter to make the connection from the sending unit to the filter. Which Walbro pump for a non turbo 4 cylinder?
It has been discussed in this how to but again I have never seen the filter and do not have access until I fly out there around thanksgiving I am just trying to get all the parts together before I arrive.
It seem like a pretty simple job and I like the idea of using one pump instead of 2. This forum has given me a really good education in a very short time, thanks to everyone here.
If any one can share their knowledge on this mod I would really appreciate it.

Oh and I wonder if I can get on the plane with a fuel pump in my carry on lol and its a 91 not a 93 which is was I put down is my previous post.

Dean

Last edited by devo; 11-19-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Forgive me for being the voice of dissent. Why put your main pump (especially a Walbro) hidden away inside your fuel tank? A Volvo will run w/ a dead intank lift pump, but if the inline high pressure pump craps out, you're walking. Walbro's often don't last more than 2-3 years. Who want's to pull a fuel tank for that? I assume Mom's car is n/a...are you just bored? Do you think an unmodified car needs more fuel pressure than stock? It won't mean jack w/ a stock fuel pressure regulator...just will make the gas circulate back to the tank faster. Seems a lot of work for zero gain. Just sayin'...

Old 11-21-2010, 12:05 PM

Good point I just go by what I have read here and it seems to be a pretty decent mod and not any one saying so far that it has failed. My Mom has a wagon and I believe I can get to the intank pump through the inspection plate in the rear compartment so I wont have to drop the tank. But there is a lot of discussion about this topic from a few years back but not to much recently.
To me the simplicity of 1 pump vs 2 is just more appealing and I was just looking for someone who has done this and can confirm or deny if it will be a good move.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, while I don't own any stock Volvos, I still say the Swedes made a pretty darn solid car. Keep in mind, the Bosch fuel pumps built 20-25 years ago are a heck of a lot better (as in longevity) than even the Bosch pumps built today. It's doubtful any fuel pump made today would last 20 years. Take a look at the stickies at the top of this section w/ my sig. I've put a 347 ci stroker into a 740, a 940T motor into an 89 245 and now transplanting all the goodies from the 245 into an 80 242GT. If you go to the "Other Volvos" section after the 240/740/940/ section, you'll see my basically stick built 73 144. I'm all about making my cars faster, handle better and still be reliable. But...I'm also lazy! Not a big believer in doing stuff just to be doing it. I see no benefit from swapping to a single pump unless one/both pumps have failed. Your Mom may be about ready to get another car...I don't know. It would be good to know how you would go about performing the swap if/when a pump died...but to mess w/ a good thing is just tempting fate. You may swap out pumps that would have lasted 10 years for a pump that craps out in 2-3 years. In theory, you can indeed remove the pump/sender assembly through the access panel. It's done quite often. Anyone on here that's done it that way will tell you it's tricky; the sock sticks out in one direction, the fuel sender float in another direction. Obviously, that doesn't change if you pull the tank...just less frustrating. Also, pulling the tank gives you a much better opportunity to check for rust and other foreign objects.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:56 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are you removing the tank when there's a nifty access inside the car?
Ed

Old 11-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ed7
Why are you removing the tank when there's a nifty access inside the car?
Ed
Read the last two sentences of my post...

Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanx Swift!
From what I understand from the mechanic she took it too the main pump has failed and is working only intermittently the intank pump has failed as well and from what he said he doesnt know how long it has been out but that was most likely the reason the main pump died. So I guess either way I will have to change both pumps. I can buy both pumps a relay and the pump screen today and fly home with it tomorrow, I have not been able to source the correct walbro pump to do the conversion near me so I will have to do both pumps it seems.
I would still be really interested to hear back from any one who has done this mod just to see how it turned out and how long the pump lasted.

Last edited by devo; 11-22-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Ahh...dead pumps! Now doing a swap can make sense! Here's a TB article on one fellow's spin on doing the swap. Read the entire thread as there is some valid criticism of his solution.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ghlight=walbro
As to longevity, most forums where people are modding their cars will say Walbros last 2-3 years. Some folks say a lot less but I figure they're drain bamaged and don't now how to install and wire stuff properly.
http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/fpspecs.html has everything you need to know about Walbros. Note that not all 255 lph Walbros are created equally. If you don't get the high pressure version, there just really isn't that much improvement from stock.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Lol
I just picked up 2 Delphi pumps and I am on my way to the airport as we speak! I will post back when this project is complete or maybe before if I run into any problems with the install.