So I opened a junkyard OD relay today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I opened a junkyard OD relay today...

I still can't find the OD relay(not where its suppose to be) on my car so what I'm planning to do is cut the wires coming from the soleniod and switch and rewire the whole thing adding a relay socket. I've got power at the fuse block, so I was going to take power from there. I thought I'd start by figuring out how the OD relay tabs are configured, like which ones are for the coil and which are for the switch in the relay. When I got it open, I relized theres a relay and a small circut board with all sorts of capacitors, resistors, and transisters . That one was blue(Volvo printed on side), an orange one(Hella cast on the side) I got had less parts, but has a small micro chip. Before I go cutting wires I'd like to know exatly how the circut works. Heres my questions -

1)How do these relays work? Is the circut for a time delay or something?

2)I put a continuity tester on the socket to the left of the radio that leads to the soleniod and it didn't beep, does this mean my soleniod needs replacing? Do they make an open circut when they don't have power or do the windings cause to much resistance for most meters?

3)If I give the soleniod power will it click, or make a noise inticating its alive?

4)Are one of the relays better that the other? I'd assume the orange one with the micro chip would be more reliable.

5)Am I missing an unseen problem in this adventure?

Thanks for any replies