Some fuel system help for 94-95 940 VIN 83 FD Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some fuel system help for 94-95 940 VIN 83 FD Engines

I have been a member for awhile but have only posted once.

I have noted some confusion on the B230FD engine which was in many 94-95 Vehicles

Bosch
It is a single high pressure pump in the tank

The fuel relay on these vehicles is the small blue or green relay second from right in the relay block
The relay pre-primes the pump for three seconds
This is controlled by the ECM
Remove the blue (or green) cover from the relay, put it back in place. Turn on the key. It should engage for three seconds and then disengage
You will also need to check for pre-prime at the fuel sender connector in the trunk. Have someone turn the key for you. This eliminates possible harness issues.

The tank is 20 gallon. It curves over the driveshaft. It is a two piece shaft. I do not remove it. You need thirty inches of clearance to get it out. I do no not suggest "wangling" the fuel sender out through the access port on a sedan. You will likely break a component.

The return line is easily replaced, I would suggest replacing it. The quick disconnect on the sender can be a little tricky. Push the center, use the thumb on the center then use the index and middle finger to pull the edges toward you. Finesse.

disconnect everything through the inspection plate.

The electric connector for the pump/sender. Remove the left side plastic trunk cover. The speed sensor black box is right beside the connector, just follow the leads down to the bulkhead behind the tank to make sure you have the right one.

First and foremost, BEFORE REMOVING THE SENDER, pump the contents of the tank into another vehicle. The tank is high grade plastic, far better than steel and very light.

If your seal and ring are reusable clean both. Re-insert the seal while the tank is out. Soak the ring nut in boiling water for about 15 seconds. Immediately tighten it. One or two well placed whacks to tight with a hammer and chisel/punch should do it. Replace the stainless steel clamp. It is factory, it does not look like it is but it is.

Part number for this pump;
9445444 at eEuroparts
Cost about $210
elsewhere $250-$310

Airtex price significantly cheaper but be prepped to do the job over several times. Buy the Volvo pump. If you wreck the car you can pull the pump, show your invoice on ebay and someone will gladly pay $50-$80 for a Volvo pump used.

Last edited by bob940; 09-02-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:46 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Your writeup loosely applies to 1995 only.
1994 is like a 1993, so the relay location, no, the single pump, no, unless a Regina system which is different than the Bosch pump. The 1995 pump is like the 850 pump.
It's perfectly fine to remove the pump without dropping the tank, that's what access plate is for! No need to replace the return line unless it is damaged. No need to boil the bung ring, just keep it on the tank with some Vaseline while messing with the pump and sender.
Many different sources for the pump, much cheaper than $200...

Owning, working on Volvos since 1986...

Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a diesel mechanic for thirty seven years and have only owned Volvos for two. Yes there are cheaper pumps. I go with Bosch or Volvo only because of experience with Airtex. I got into Volvo because since he bought it new in 1984 I have admired my friends Volvo 240 DL wagon.

I know that money is a factor with many old Volvo owners. I still take no chances and use only original parts when available. Cheaper isn't always cheaper. I did not find a way to get the assembly out without some risk of breaking the a piece of the sender. And honestly with several herniated disks I find leaning into the trunk far more uncomfortable.

The average person not knowing the exact position of the sending unit is likely to break something. For you, it is a breeze, that's thirty years of doing it. For the first and only timer I'm trying to keep his sending unit intact. But for me it's a breeze to set the rack on a 6V92 or tune a Cummins L10 while it is running.

This relates to my type of 940 sedan only. I note here that very qualified people have in several instances stated that the fuel relay is always the one on the upper left and never the small one to the right denoting that for some other use. All I posted was my recommendation for confused 940 sedan owners of that type. Don't care about the ins and outs of 850's, 240's, etc... until I have to deal with them. Don't care about regina, my 91' 740 has that. In this instance I acknowledge you the expert but this was published for people just trying to keep on the road and not break things.

As far as the write-up loosely applying...yes... I made that clear in the opening line. Never said Regina or mentioned it. As far as the fuel return, it's twenty plus years old and easy to get at and off the rack at about 90 cents, why not replace it? I agree it has no pressure but why leave an easy to replace twenty year old fuel line?

BTW- see my other post, I'm looking for a third brake light lense for my 740. If you have one I'd be willing to buy it... and hello

Last edited by bob940; 09-04-2016 at 12:08 AM.