Speaker Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Speaker Issues

Hey forum dwellers

I'm sixteen and four months ago I got my license and a 1987 Volvo 240 DL (Non-turbo )

Anyway I've done some things to it to make it more of a fun car (mostly cosmetic things but I'm trying to work my way up to engine aspects).

Next I plan to add some 3.5 inch tweeters to put in the stock speaker cabinet in the front doors, and then I want another pair of 6x9 Kenwoods. And I'm going to need an amp so I've been looking for a cheap one. I am not particularly wanting a sub-woofer but hey who knows.

My problem is I haven't a clue where to put the second pair of 6x9s. I don't want to put 2 more in the back window, and if I wanted to I think there's only enough room for one more in a box. I was trying to get creative but when it comes down to it, I don't just want to cut a hole somewhere in my car for speakers. I'm open to any ideas of where I could put them. I don't want them lying about in the back seat or on the floor either. Preferably a supported, solid, and safe spot. I was thinking maybe the panels lining the wall on either side of the dash but on brief inspection I couldn't figure out how to remove them and investigate.

Joe

Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

about the ONLY place 6x9's will fit on a 240 sedan are on the back deck under the back window (after hogging out a suitable sized hole), that or in cabinets sitting on the back seat.

the front door mounts, you need to be careful your speakers aren't too deep or they will interfere with the window, there's very little room there. the ones I put in our old 87 240, I had to remove plastic trim from the speaker magnet AND put a 1/2" thick spacer between he door panel and the grill so the speakers could be mounted 1/2" farther out.

we opted for 6.5" oversize JL Audio 2-ways for that rear deck speaker, with external crossovers. using a modern stereo with 50Wx4 built in amplification, you really don't need any external amp to drive that car loud enough to hurt your hearing.