Stuck on alternator install

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck on alternator install

Hi Folks,
I have been working on the motor of my volvo for quite some time now and I have hit a brick wall. I removed my alternator and have fit the new one in but I have 2 parts in question and I am not sure what to do: I have a long arm that looks like it attaches right above the alternator for tension and I have a square nut with a bolt going through it but I am not sure how these pieces go together Is there anyway someone else with a 1989 Volvo 240 DL can post a pic of what theirs looks look like? I am truly stuck here LOL. Any help would be so appreciated, a rounded nut has kept me stuck on this job for at least 2 weeks

Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Old 11-16-2010, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the speedy response, however what I am looking for is a pic of the alternator on a non turbo engine of a 1989 240 DL, I have found a million pics on the internet but I need a close up of what the alternator looks like mounted so I can put mine back together, I am beginning to lose hope

Old 11-16-2010, 04:57 PM

*bump* I got the alternator back on and I think I got the ground and the battery re-connected, (just a side note but I was not the person who tore apart the motor and that is why I am lost) I found a small cable after I finished and it has a small connection on one side and a slightly larger one on the other, it looks like a battery connection but I guess now I am wondering if there are 3 connections to the back of the alternator and this one is for the alternator to the engine block? The connection is green and the part number is t1215278-t, attached is a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Stuck on alternator install-photo_00002.jpg  
Old 11-16-2010, 06:29 PM

So I figured out that the wire is the voltage regulator, I need to try and find out what wires go where on the back of my bosch alternator, I have a stock 1989 Volvo 240 DL. Does anybody have a pic?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that blue wire is used as a ground connection. Attached is a picture.

Attached Thumbnails Stuck on alternator install-alt_con.jpg  
Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 PM

Bubba, thank you so much for your help! I am thinking that I connect that blue wire to the engine block near the swing arm I just bolted back on? I just have one last question: I ordered a radiator from napa and there is no radiator cap on it, it just has the normal hose connection for upper and lower radiator hose, oil on the front and the hoses to the overflow on the upper left hand side of the engine. I have no idea how to fill my radiator for the first time after this unless I just pour it into the overflow?

Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup. You fill it through the overflow.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 AM

does that create a suction to fill the radiator? I just don't want to blow my motor by running it dry, I have been working on this thing for a month or more. I just pray that when I turn the key it comes back to life I also made a discovery this a.m. that it's looking like I am going to have to run it without a fan shroud. I have heard some say it's okay and other swear not to, kinda confused

Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 AM

Running at high speed on the highway without the shroud certainly shouldn't hurt. Running around town in stop & go traffic without the shroud would not be so good - especially in southern climates.

As far as the radiator, fill it up through the oveflow tank until it reaches the MAX level indicator. Close it up, run the engine until the return (top) hose gets hot. I usually give the top hose a few squeezes to get the bubbles out. Then top of the overflow tank to MAX again. You should be good to go.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 AM

I had enough clearance to put the fan shroud back on and everything appears to be in place, I am going to run into town and grab some anti-freeze here in a bit, thank you for your help. I'll let you know how it goes

Old 11-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Well, I started the car and it ran...but then I hit a brick wall when I noticed that anti freeze was coming from behind the thermostat, I had just replaced it while I was doing other work on the motor, do you think I just need to re-seat the thermostat gasket? If I remove the thermostat will anti-freeze spill all over the place? what do you think I should do to fix it?

Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 AM

The thermostat sits at about the highest point in the cooling system so you should be able to remove it without losing much if any antifreeze. Pull it off and check the gasket on it.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:16 AM

Okay so I just went out to remove the thermostat to check on the gasket and to my dismay one of the bolts rounded off and now I am screwed , I am guessing I used the wrong wrench to remove the bolt and I didn't know what I was doing when I put the thermostat on and put the bolts on too tight, I used a 10 mm on the bolts to begin with. Maybe I should have used a standard wrench? I am not sure what the next step is. all I know is the car sounded great when I started it, but this leak is small but enough to cause much concern. I wonder if there is a way to seal around the housing enough to stop the leak until I can have the guys down at portland volvo look at and hopefully remove that bolt. The dealer ship is over 50 or miles away from me, I hope I can stop the leak long enough to get there

Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 PM

U could try some stop leak, dont know if it would work...depends on the severity of your leak

Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 PM

When my daughter's '91 240 needed a thermostat replacement, I asked my sons to do the job since it is pretty straightforward. I was at work when I got the call that they had tightened one of the nuts too much and busted off the stud.

When I got home, I just used a vice grips and removed the stud. Pretty straightforward. I couldn't find a replacement stud but fortunately I have an old engine sitting in my garage that served as a donor. To remove the stud from the donor engine, I just used two nuts on the stud, tightened them together and then extracted the stud by turning the lower nut. Installing the stud used the two nut method as well.

After that I gave a lesson in using a torque wrench and how to look up torque specs.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Hey Act, I just wanted to update you on how everything went. I ended up getting off the rounded bolt with a special socket with teeth and a few hammer taps I noticed that the gasket was looking like it wasn't seated right. I re-seated it put on 2 new bolts and was careful not to overtighten and started it up and let it run for a while, and behold no leaks! It ran out of gas shortly after but if needing to add gas is my only problem, I'd say I am doing okay. Thanks for your patience and help on this one, it was much appreciated. Cheers from maine