temperature sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temperature sensor

Hi,
I have a 93 240 wagon for about one month. It has 127,000 miles but the engine seems good. When i bought it the temperature guage was a little erratic then stopped working all together. I replaced the thermostat which did not help. I bought a temperature sensor thinking that replacing that is cheaper than paying for a diagosis from a mechanic (i read about the compensation board, etc. )
my question is..... where does it go? the closest thing i saw that could be it was a plug in the side of the engine on the right between the alternator and the oil filter. Would that be it?
When i do replace it will a lot of fluid leak out or just a little and finally, do i need to put something on the threads of the new one to seal it.
Sorry for sounding stupid
Thank you
Gwen

Old 07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Default RE: temperature sensor

hi gwen,
i have the same problem with my 93 240 wagon. my volvo guy said it's a board of some sort in the dash, behind the guage that is going bad (an electrical thing, probably the compensation board you referred to). at least that's how i understood it. i have the info written down somewhere. if i find it i'll let you know.
justin

Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 PM

Gwen,

You may be lucky and get away with a faulty sender unit. They have been known to fail.

You are in the right area for its location, but also along there is the oil pressure sensor. The temp sensor has a yellow wire coming away from it and the oil pressure sensor has a black one.

You will need to drainsome coolant from the radiator to replace the temp sensor. There should be a drain tap at the bottom of the radiator. Catch the coolant in a suitable container so you can put it back in when you have finished the job. You will need to drain enough to bring the level below the cylinder head - trial and error unfortunately.

If you have trouble identifying which is the correct sensor when they are removed you will see a difference in the part that sits in the block.

You do not need to put anything on the threads.

Bill.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:42 PM

Here is a link showing photos of how to get your instrument cluster out of the dash. You will have to do this to get at the temperature compensation board. It is pretty easy.....
http://www.hyperocity.com/volvo240/volvoodometer.htm

After you remove the cluster, follow the instruction in the link below to perform the bypass of the temperature compensation board. I did it about a month ago and everything is working fine...
http://brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=881902

Mike

Old 07-11-2007, 05:45 PM

I forgot to mention that you want to stop at step 10 and then go to the second link.