Thinking about a 744 as my first volvo

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a 744 as my first volvo

I've never owned, driven nor been in a volvo that I can recall but I've always seen these nice looking cars on craigslist for a decent cost..

Well I've located a 744 right near me, turbo of course... and a 745turbo still pretty close, both under 1,000$.

I'm leaning towards the 744, my last car was a mint RX-7 that was stolen n wrecked before I could start turbo'ing it so I wanna get another car to drive, I've been reading that volvo's are excellent turbo warriors

So this 88` 744 I found, it's manual the guy tuned it all up and fixed it, it wouldn't go into overdrive I guess... afterwards overdrive worked but reverse stopped working,

I've been reading these cars seem extremely reliable, I'm urgent to test drive this car but I lack $$$ and most people make you wait do they corner well? I was quite pleased when I read they are rear-wheel drive !
I kinda like the thought of getting the wagon but the 44's look legit.

Anyways would a grabby clutch and some fat comp-r's with some reliability mods as I read here called "stage zero" would it last pretty long? I'm new to turbo'd cars so I'd not go boost crazy, and yes I know what detonation is and sounds like, I've had a few RX7's with advanced timing, I'd love to do some redneck'ing (jokingly) theres abunch of civic's and subie's that need a pwn'ing over here, is a volvo my partner in this war?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to buy or not to buy

I own a 94 850 turbo wagon and an 86 240 wagon. These cars are grow on you. well made and fun to have. you can mod the crap out them. If the previous owner took medium to high care of them you are ok. I happened to buy these rides from jack *** owners that neglected the crap out of them. I bought my 850 for 1000 and the 240 for 350 bucks....I have invested around 1300 on both of them and still need repairs to be up to excellent driving conditions. If you have another grand to spare or at least 500 then you are ok. Maybe spend more money on the initial buy on a great 744 so you won't have to deal with a lot of headaches.

best wishes...

Old 12-27-2009, 01:11 PM

Once I got a car to go A to B (50-100mi or so at most) I can start making some spare cash like 100-200 per job after a week or two I'd have a bit to throw into the car.

This one seems in fine condition I'll try go to see it today, maybe pick it up. for 800 bucks and it runs, can't go wrong hehe...

Anybody know how much it costs to fix the reverse? The guy said it's some cone thing in the clutch needs to be replaced or whatever, he got a overdrive rebuild kit from iPD and then the reverse stopped after rebuilding the overdrive.

What about the engines of these cars and driveline.

My old rx7 I could drop in gear at 5k rpm, racing clutch w/slicks and yes it'd literally launch n the air a little, I believe it was breaking my LSD but I didn't launch it that high all the time. So when launching a car like these I'd prolly wanna be around 2.5-3k?

Last edited by cmanns; 12-27-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:54 PM

These cars are very reliable...

Old 12-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Well I'll be seeing it soon it sounds, hope its good!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:48 PM

Well I saw it. mmmm was my first thought

She looks kinda like a italian mobster car with the boxxy sedan look... not much needs to be fixed.

I drove it also, god it felt awesome. Seems the seller even wouldn't of minded me opening her up alittle more but it was my first time driving a volvo and a turbo!

I've now expirenced boost lag and 10LBS of boost, feel free to congrt me

Man when that turbo just hits full power, feels good man!

The only thing I noticed was what appeared to be oil around the block where the exhaust manifold bolts up on the right side (nearest to rad/timing belt) is that rly bad?

Engine makes no odd sounds, boosts instantly, very quiet car, ive never driven a sedan stick, this car felt very zippy compared to my old rx7s.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 PM

worst case scenario you got to replace the head gasket...I think will cost around 50 bucks or less. installing it will be about 5 hours I guess...

Need a torque wrench: around 25 dollars or less
new head bolts: I don't know how much these are...eight of them
I guess you could go with the same ones but if you can buy them would be better
Antifreeze: 15 dollars
oil: 20 dollars
filter: 6 dollars

the list can go on since you got the heads out you could change the water pump and the timing belt. exhaust manifold gaskets and intake as well. if these look "good" just the gasket will do.

A BITCHIN 744 TURBO...! PRICELESS

Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 AM

Alittle update.

So I'll share alittle info, tools = my fathers, hes passed on (wanted me to sell tools prior to him dying even, told me when he did... to sell) anyways!

So I just went ot the pawn shop guys, told the owner "Look these were my dads, I'm looking to buy a cool volvo turbo" he gave me a good deal, they always do with tools. He only cut me off bout 50-100bux AT MOST, think bout it I gotta STRUGGLE to make the most out of each and 1 pile he gave me 300, the next 100ish.

Now I have more $ that the owner would like, well we're still going to do alittle trade. Afterwards I have 2 jobs that are less than 60mi away from me that'll total to about 200, then I can register/insure the volvo.... then I can start saving for tuning her up.

I barrowed no $$ to get this car, I hope the seller realizes I'm giving him a good deal of tools, i really like the car and I'm sad I only have 500 to give but my last beautiful 85 rx7 was stolen n wrecked, Ive found a replacement for her at 2,500ish, the other was 2,800. Anywyas I mean I need a 4dr car, this cars going so cheap I think the seller likes my deal, I even tried to get more cash than he "expected/bare min"

Anyways I plan to redo some of the electrical, try to fix that reverse issue and such once I get it, oh and the intercooler I ran my finger over and it looks like it has a foam over it because theres so much dirt and such, I bet I can just wash this car great and she'd look prettier , then look into fixing any engine issues and such.

I'm really liking volvo's I keep watching vids and honestly they seem like those certain cars (The majority of volvo's) that keep going, the engine remindes me of a beefier inline 4 that hondas have (Now I've only driven a few automatic hondas, and dont give 2 ****s about that rice crap) this volvo was the first boosted car that i drove but I'm nto an idiot, I used to push a 1st gen rx7 on comp-r's 90-110mph on tight back roads on a worn out suspension, this is NOT my plan with the volvo, my old rx7 lost against a scion not even racing just trying to keep up on the freeway, she was good for spirit runs.

This volvo is a 4dr that can take my friends, boost pretty hard and be fun... so anyways I feel safe with my investment all you volvo guys on youtube and such have shown me their reliable and decen tcars, jsut not with those crazy looks but y the hell woudl I pay 8 grand for a GSX? eclipse (the awd turbo) when i could get a ok condition volvo and boost the **** out of it and then have a rx7 for track days !

Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 PM

So I've got the volvo!, extremely happy with my purchase.

1) Great trunk space
2) Simple to work on
3) people have said rear seats are comfy.
4) for having BALD tires it grips suparbly in the rain, those skinny *** 195 tires barely will slide (in the front) the rear seems to be a open diff? I've rarely got both tires to slide im pretty sure, if i WOT in 3rd it spins but it sounds like one (Ones a lot more bald than the other...)

Only scary thing was 5th on the freeway half throttle or so and it slowly builds boost after 3-4seconds and then wham the tires spun to 90-100ish and then it catches and throws around sideways, I drove the car alittle on the dry roads in another town was insane took a corner and hit full boost n 2nd and one of the rear tires was in the air I believe, needs new tires/suspension/anti roll bars but man once i pushed the gas it just launched.

Oh and alittle rice'd out civic (I mean RICED!) that I've always toyed with in my rx's, i did two half assed pulls next to him he goes around me and blips that pos honda by and turns off very quickly, LOL didnt want none?

EDIT: HERES PICS, ill get some good ones after i power wash her (Appeared to be in a junk yard/field for days maybe, lots of OLD cobwebs and GIGANTIC spiders )

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about a 744 as my first volvo-20778_1210057764415_1017851847_30516467_7810583_n.jpg   Thinking about a 744 as my first volvo-img00070-20091227-1548.jpg  
Old 01-02-2010, 12:19 AM

Dam...for a minute i thought i was reading "fast and the swedish"...i don't know squat regarding your turbo...it has potential...

Change the tires for sure man......
Congrats....!

Old 01-02-2010, 02:27 PM

a 91 744 was my first car / volvo... If i didn't sell it the year after i got it, Im sure I'd still have the thing 8 years later... Very reliable.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by redbottle
Dam...for a minute i thought i was reading "fast and the swedish"...i don't know squat regarding your turbo...it has potential...

Change the tires for sure man......
Congrats....!
Yeah, I look forward to seeing this thing wrapped around a tree in the near future!

Regards, Andrew.