Timing Belt Decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Decision

I need to get my timing belt done ASAP on my car. The new volvo guy ive found, charges alittle more than im used to, but his word and work is very reliable. He quoted me 400 +/- for the "TB and the 3 aux belts infront with the seals". The first shop i ever took my car too, that put in the wrong oil, didn't know much or anything about Volvo's and also for some reason my car idled and ran worst after they had it in their shop, is only quoting me for the same work at 230+/-. I think this comes down to a personal opinion with risk, but whats the normal price for a TB and the aux belts to cost with labor usually run? I need to decide between paying more and getting reliable work, or paying alittle less and getting decent work. Also once the belts are on, and the car runs again after, is there something that could happen from poor work down the road besides the belt snapping or coming off?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam dude get rid of the guy freaking rip off.......!!!!!

Spare around 4 hours and 100 parts max and around 4 hours and there you go oh yes, get yourself a chilton or haynes book.

You need:
pliers (adjusting)
a small stick/hex key or some sort of strong wire to stick inside the timing belt tension er hole. "you find pictures on the repair books"
metric socket set from 10mm to 24mm
ratchet (a medium sized one and a small one )
that's it....

I use a large and long screw driver and stick it in the crankshaft slits and slip it all the way against the water pump area (you will know ) or somewhere around there to undo the bolt.
You will see the marks on the book pictures.....
It is worth doing it yourself. Wear gloves.....you will feel pain

Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 PM

Yes, you need to remove the fan shroud for space. Not hard

use a 10m open end wrench and pops out...don't freak out if the entire bolts come off, i find they do often, just screw back again.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM

BELTS SNAPPING? I DON'T THINK SO BUT? THEY CAN SCREW UP THE TIMING WHICH THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE INCREDIBLY INCOMPETENT....I MEAN INCREDIBLY...I USUALLY THROW IN THE REPAIR MANUAL ON THE PASSENGER SEAT FOR THEIR REFERENCE. i DON'T KNOW IF THEY LIKE THAT BUT I AM SURE ONE TIME THEY USED IT..

LOOK AT THE CAMSHAFT GEAR, ATOP WITH COVER ON...REMOVE COVER AND SEE THE LITTLE PIN HOLE SOMETIMES COLORED IN WHITE...THIS HOLE ALINGS WITH THE PLASTIC BACK COVER OF THE GEAR, YOU WILL SEE A RAISED LINE THIS IS YOUR MARK. THEY GET THIS WRONG AND THEY COULD HIT A VALVE? BUT I DOUBT IT HIGHLY.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The labor guide calls for 1.6 hours to do the timing belt. Every shop will estimate using 2 hours to cover themselves if they have an issue. At our shop, the labor rate is still $70 an hour. So, you would be quoted $140 labor for the timing belt. We make a habit of reducing the bill if it goes off like clockwork. The auxiliary belts have to come off/be loosened anyway as the water pump pulley has to come off. The only belt that doesn't have to come off is the power steering to a/c belt. So, there's no extra labor charge except for that one a/c belt. Cost of parts depends on regions, but your new guy sounds a bit pricey. I've done these so often that it takes me less than an hour...still, customers get charged book price because for every job that takes significantly less than the book calls for there's 6-10 jobs that take longer. Find out what your guy's labor rate is. If it's $200 an hour let me know as I have a daughter in college...could use the extra money!
Oh...the B230F is a non-interference motor unless you have some super hot aftermarket cam.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 PM

Alot of other people on here have said not to do it myself cus I would probably screw up, i think im going to take it to the place thats cheapest.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Unless you have a friend near by that knows Bricks, that's not a bad idea. Still, if you were able to watch the guy do it, you could probably do it the next time. The key is to have the crankshaft, cam and intermediate shaft all in the correct position. Too, most B230Fs need to have the crank pulley pulled...if you don't have an impact wrench, that can provide lots of grief. The cheaper quote sounds right.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM

I just did one, not hard, but this one had a separated crank pulley-gave all kinds of funny adjustment signals. Figured it out though...

Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by schwalbe181
Alot of other people on here have said not to do it myself cus I would probably screw up, i think im going to take it to the place thats cheapest.

Just some friendly advice from a certified Volvo mechanic...spend the $300-$400 and get it done right! If you don't know what you are doing you'll be towing your car to the mechanic...or you'll have leaky front seals within a month...most DIY's dont have a clue how far the front seals are actually supposed to go in and the bottom crank seal is a b.tch...there are several steps involved that DIY's don't do because they don't know how to or even know about them that's why they are not mechanics...I can't tell you how many seals and belts that I have had to re-do because someone wanted to save $$. Or the several guys that forgot to tighten the cam gear so their belt broke as well as their cam...if you don't have the know how/tools/skill set..pay someone who does...you don't fix your own teeth do you? maybe you do...

Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Default Dealer price

I just paid my dealer 1600 to replace the timing belt, pulleys etc. $400 sounds great!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by volvoguy2323
Just some friendly advice from a certified Volvo mechanic...spend the $300-$400 and get it done right! If you don't know what you are doing you'll be towing your car to the mechanic...or you'll have leaky front seals within a month...most DIY's dont have a clue how far the front seals are actually supposed to go in and the bottom crank seal is a b.tch...there are several steps involved that DIY's don't do because they don't know how to or even know about them that's why they are not mechanics...I can't tell you how many seals and belts that I have had to re-do because someone wanted to save $$. Or the several guys that forgot to tighten the cam gear so their belt broke as well as their cam...if you don't have the know how/tools/skill set..pay someone who does...you don't fix your own teeth do you? maybe you do...
Man I replaced my timing belt three weeks ago, went off without a hitch. I'm twenty-two years old and I've never done it before. Granted on my B21 the crank pulley comes off pretty easily, without any mucking about with the oil seals. In my situation, which I think is very similar to most people driving a twenty-year-old car, I am not some weekend warrior trying to save money, I'm dirt poor and a trip to the mechanic could very easily result in me losing my car entirely, the last time I ever went to a mechanic they had my car for a month because they replaced my brake junction box without asking and wanted four hundred dollars which I didn't have. I don't know about Schwalbe here but I'm leading a rebellion agaist mechanics.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

I applaud your efforts. Sometimes necessity forces us to exceed our own expectations. Volvo 240's are one of the more forgiving cars to work on as they were built to be repaired at a time when "Volvo for Life" meant just that. I'm not convinced that your situation is like most people driving 20 year old cars but certainly like many people. Here in Dallas, I'd say it's about 50-50. I can pretty much tell a block away which category...

Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sofar.
Man I replaced my timing belt three weeks ago, went off without a hitch. I'm twenty-two years old and I've never done it before. Granted on my B21 the crank pulley comes off pretty easily, without any mucking about with the oil seals. In my situation, which I think is very similar to most people driving a twenty-year-old car, I am not some weekend warrior trying to save money, I'm dirt poor and a trip to the mechanic could very easily result in me losing my car entirely, the last time I ever went to a mechanic they had my car for a month because they replaced my brake junction box without asking and wanted four hundred dollars which I didn't have. I don't know about Schwalbe here but I'm leading a rebellion agaist mechanics.
let's rebel against all the doctors and dentists too...get real. If you cannot afford a car, don't drive. Not all mechanics are crooks and yes a timing belt is not rocket science but I just bought a 91 245 for $500 because the dumbass had done his timing belt and had it 30 degrees off time...I told him it soinds like your timing is off his reply was no that's not possible the belt had marks on it...oh well poor bastard didn't want to listen so he sold me his perfectly beautiful car for $500....you get my point??

Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 AM

I can't afford dentistry either bub, certainly ain't giving up my teeth.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

I can't afford dentistry either bub, certainly ain't giving up my teeth.
Easy to say when you're 21. Without dentistry you'll have the smile of a tweeker by the time you're 35!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:48 AM

We are ENTHUSIASTS and DO IT YOURSELF type. We love working on Volvo's and sometimes mechanics get it wrong.....YEAH, THEY DO. I know a good mechanic or two but I would rather do it myself. "If you can't afford a car don't drive".....WTF is that comment about?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redbottle
We are ENTHUSIASTS and DO IT YOURSELF type. We love working on Volvo's and sometimes mechanics get it wrong.....YEAH, THEY DO. I know a good mechanic or two but I would rather do it myself. "If you can't afford a car don't drive".....WTF is that comment about?
Same thing I tell my kids...If you cannot afford simple things than you cannot afford the gas it takes to power it...don't drive. BTW I think DIY's are great but without me or someone like me that gets our brain constantly picked by someone who wants to it it themselves or cannot afford it...they would never be able to do anything. Why, you ask? Because I give them the answers they need to fix something. I and my fellow Volvo mechanics have spent thousands of hours training, reading,repairing etc. That has EARNED us this knowledge know if you want to slap us in the face an Rebel go ahead just don't ask us anymore free qyestions my friend...

Old 08-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by swiftjustice44
Easy to say when you're 21. Without dentistry you'll have the smile of a tweeker by the time you're 35!
Swift can you believe these kids?? They want to rebel against us? The only people that can give them true knowledge and answers to their questions...smart don't ya think?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Banned

did you doyour 3 front oil seals?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:04 PM

well this is getting kinda yucky feeling. I rely on advice from experts and people who have "been there and dont it" themselves. I ask advice on parenting, mechanics, work, you name it. I am not to proud to admit i don't know it all. I value expertise in whatever field i seek answers in. volvoguy, you more than once have provided me with assistance and its been VERY appreciated. I think there is some of what I call "text tone" in this whole conversation. I like to diy when I can, seek the pro's when i must. Just my .02