Timing belt woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt woes

Hello All,

I just completed Timing belt, water pump, and seals on an 86 Volvo 245.

I had ordered the complete Kit from IPD. Complete with video and all... On the video it shows the Tech taking the cam gear off by holding the old timing belt around the sprocket and un-wrenching it. anyways, it didnt work like that for me.. I had to install the crank holding tool, with the old timing belt re-installed and then unscrew all the bolts... anyways, as i was doing the same in the reverse order to complete the job. For the life of me i couldnt get the old belt to hold the intermediate gear in place. once i reached about 40 ft lbs of pressure It would skip a tooth on the belt. so now i am worried about the timing being far off. it will start but seems to be running fast... it just dies quickly. within a second or two.

Ok this was my first timing belt job ever. as i was getting ready to do it, i may have turned the crank counterclockwise to get all the timing marks to line up.

I thought even if the timing was off it would still run. I was hoping that if it was too far off i would just take it to a shop and have them re-time it.. is that reasonable?

now i have noticed a rather large slick of oil down the exhaust side of the engine. I hope im not just wasting all my time on a dead car here. I just dont get it, ill fix one thing and it seems immediately following another more serious issue will arise. Am i Breaking this Engine??

Hope everyone had a good halloween...

Thanks,

BBman

Last edited by Bumblebeeman; 11-01-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the belt slightly off after a timing belt install and it wouldn't run. All three marks on the pulleys/sprockets have to line up after the belt is installed.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

last B230F (actually a turbo) that had oil seeping down the exhaust side was due to a weak head gasket that eventually let go. the seepage was primarily in the cylinder 3-4 area below the exhaust manifolds.

One primary cause of oil leaks is plugged crankcase breathers... the oil separator box and flame trap get all fouled up, this is under the intake manifold. when thats plugged up, stuff blows out all over the place.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by pierce
last B230F (actually a turbo) that had oil seeping down the exhaust side was due to a weak head gasket that eventually let go. the seepage was primarily in the cylinder 3-4 area below the exhaust manifolds.

One primary cause of oil leaks is plugged crankcase breathers... the oil separator box and flame trap get all fouled up, this is under the intake manifold. when thats plugged up, stuff blows out all over the place.

I recently cleaned the flame trap, so i hope its not that. And actually i havent seen that drip anymore... following it up though, it seemed it could have been coming from the back of the engine, because it was dripping off the oil filter.

Lining up the pullies is easy in theory. Could i have seriously disrupted the timing by spinning them counter clockwise? i Lined them all up again and reinstalled the belt and rotated it around twice and all the marks were still lining up. i have so spark..

Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Just wanted to finish this thread. Turns in my amateur state i failed to completely tighten one of the transmission cooling lines to the radiator. so that seems to have solved my seepage problem. My friendly neighborhood professional mechanic got the timing lined up for me. He says i was 3 teeth off or so. OOOPS. I went through and tightened up the fuses in the panel and un the re-plugged several connectors. She has been starting every time on the first crank and running with no problems. Knock on wood. next project will be the steering, brakes and suspension.

Thank you All, for helping me get this old volvo that certainly would have other wise ended up at the JY, running smoothly again. Hard to believe that less than 5 months ago I had AAA tow this baby to my house, and she wouldnt even crank. Then engine puuurs. i swear im in love.

Thanks Again.