Transmission... 4th gear not working...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission... 4th gear not working...

I took my car in for the 30,000 mile transmission service, and had it flushed (it was actually after 20,000 miles... a little ahead of myself). Ever since the service, the transmission does not shift into 4th gear. It's an automatic 4spd transmission (the gear selectors are 1 2 and D, so 4th is automatic).

The car occasionally shifts into 4th gear on these conditions: The car has been traveling at 60MPH or higher for longer than 20min -AND- freeway speeds requiring the 4th gear are approached extremely slowly (basically if i go 0-60 in 2-3 minutes)

I took the car back to the place that serviced my car and they told me that they have no idea what happened. Could be some dishonesty on their part, but i have no idea what happened.. any ideas?

Josh

Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 PM

Could be the solenoid got gummed up with the flush or could be a wiring issue/ relay which is unrelated. Is the OD light coming on?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it tend to hold on to all the gears as it accelerate, or shift very early?
There is a small square button on the side of the shifter that cotrols OD gear (4th).
There is also an orange arrow that appears in the warning lights when OD is cancelled.
Known issues with this type of transmission are a failed overdrive solenoid (on the gearbox) wiring to the solenoid and the overdrive relay failing.
It's not uncommon for these geaboxes to be slow to shift into overdrive by themselves, I would suggest doing teh solenoid flush (sarch for it online) and have the TV cable adjusted or do it yourself.
All these problems can be found by searching AW70 or AW71 overdrive online.
Or, here is a good link to get you on your way:
http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...issionAuto.htm
Specifically, scroll down to overdrive relay and function.
I know teh information I have provided is vague, but there are several small things that could be an issue here, diagnosing online without very specific information is difficult.
You should know though that it'll be likely a very cheap fix.
J
Sometimes after a transmission flush debris gets moved around and can cause some small issues. I would give it a few weeks and see if it doesn't wort itself out. Know this though, there is no way known having the transmission flushed is involved at all with teh overdrive system or any of it's functions. It is merely removal of a transmission cooler line, attaching hoses and pumping in new fluid. Sometimes, things happen after transmission flushes, often they sort themselves out.
If it doesn't sort itself out, I would recommend having the transmission pan removed and a new filter installed in the transmission, along with more fresh fluid. I personally feel all transmissions should be serviced this way, rather than having them flushed.

Regards, Andrew.

Last edited by Typhoon; 07-13-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Thumbs down to flush or not to flush

Spot on Andrew!

Do You Need To Flush?

© Vincent Ciulla
Apr 2, 2006

Engine and transmission flushes are being sold left and right, but are they a good idea?

A New "Recommended" Maintenance Item...

In the last few years you were probably asked, or told, by you dealer or quick lube place that you need an engine or transmission flush, because the engine oil or transmission fluid is very dirty. They will tell you that it is recommended that you have it done because your engine or transmission will last longer if it is flushed clean. In that they are correct, a clean engine and transmission will last longer. But is flushing the best way to get a dirty engine clean?
What Is An Engine Or Transmission Flush?

Flushing is the high pressure forcing of fluid back against the normal flow of the fluid. In other words if the normal flow is left to right, the flush would force the fluid right to left. This is accomplished by connecting a machine that will force special solvents back through the engine and transmission. The idea is that by forcing cleaning solvents backwards through the system, it will get all the junk and garbage that has formed over time and "flush" it out of the system. In theory this may be sound, but in actual practice, it's dangerous.
The Dangers Of Flushing...

Flush machines do what they say; they force high pressure cleaning solvents back through the engine and transmission and clean out some of the accumulated junk that has formed. Now engines have small passages and galleries through which oil or automatic transmission fluid flow and there are one-way valves that keep the fluids from backtracking for whatever reason. By using an aggressive cleaning procedure like flushing, large chunks of accumulated sludge are broken off and forced backwards through these galleries and valves and, more often than not, lodge tightly and block them. This cuts off the normal flow of the fluid and causes lack of lubrication in an engine and abnormal or no shifting in a transmission. The results are expensive repairs, or more often, engine or transmission replacement.
Who Recommends Flushing As Maintenance?

The shops that want to sell you the engine or transmission flush charge anywhere from $49.95 to $99.95, not including a new engine or transmission. Those are extra. And they state quite emphatically that it is recommended that it be done. But who actually recommends that it be done? I checked with GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Honda and several other new car manufacturers and not one recommended an engine or transmission flush as routine maintenance. In fact, they specifically don't recommend it at all!! The new car dealerships that do sell them use the implication that since they are the dealer that it must be the factory that recommends it. And if they do say the factory recommends it, they are flat out lying to you.
The only ones who do recommend flushing as a maintenance procedure are the companies that sell the flush machines and the shops that buy them. The flush machine manufacturers state quite clearly in their operating manuals not to use their machines on "high-mileage vehicles". That simple statement proves that flushing is not a safe procedure. It also absolves them of any responsibility of any damage that may occur due to the use of their equipment. This leaves the shop wholly responsible for anything that happens and the cost of correcting the damage that occurs.

http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/a...xzz0LCKW0dBV&D