turbo whistle

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo whistle

Took off my rotten a$s exhaust today and replaced it with parts off the shelf at Advance (plus an axle pipe from FCP). When taking it loose I ended up putting too much weight on the cat and exhaust mani. It ended up after I got everything off that the exhaust was at a crapply angle towards the ground. When I put it all back (straight pipe no muffer dual chrome tip) I pulled it all back up almost to the floor. When I drove it (and it sounds awesome) at high rpm's I get this high whistle (turbo). So I let the exhaust down a little and its better but still there. I am guessing that I created a boost leak at the down pipe. I did not hear it when I drove the car with nothing but the cat. Did not hear it until I put everything back. Am I f*cked or what?

I thing that I screwed up when I took the hangers loose first instead of cutting it loose first. Just sounds like a whistle. When driving the boost guage will go up almost 3/4 like normal but it wont go over half when I rev it not moving. That may be normal, I dont recall reving it and looking at the boost guage before. I just think there is either a boost leak or the turbo is coming apart and it is coincidnece. What does a turbo do when it is dieing other that the seals going (like mine are)?

Attached Thumbnails turbo whistle-exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by bigdaddyrdpjr; 10-24-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 10-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might be just reduced back pressure and a good thing for the turbo? My 240 has an electric exhaust cut out and when I bypass the cat and mufflers the turbo is very noticeable. The car shouldn't boost when sitting still unless you have the brake applied...guess I'd have to pinpoint from where the sound originates. Besides smoking, failing turbos don't do much until right at the end when they seize up.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks as always Swift. I did not hear it when I ran with nothing but the cat but it was under my a@s and fairly loud. It does not seem to effect the power any.