TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear parcel shelf, seatbelt mechanism covers and plastic vent pieces were severely roached by the sun. I bought new vents and seat belt mechanism covers and cleaned the shelf itself and gave it a coat of SEM 15043 Shadow Blue Color Coat. The blue is a close match to the original carpets. Capturing what the color looks like in person is not the easiest.

Attached Thumbnails TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-dscn1253.jpg   TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-img_1625.jpg   TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-img_1626.jpg   TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-img_1627.jpg   TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-img_1630.jpg  

TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-img_1640.jpg  

Last edited by MSGGrunt; 04-08-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:22 PM

I found universal trim plugs at my local parts store for a Ford were the perfect small size "pin" to fit tightly into the rear deck threaded hole, but still a large enough plug to cover the larger hole in the parcel shelf. These came black, but a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol and a coat of the same SEM ColorCoat that I painted the shelf with and they are a perfect match.

Attached Thumbnails TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-img_1634.jpg   TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-img_1637.jpg   TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-img_1639.jpg  
Old 05-14-2018, 05:30 PM

I just picked up 8 15" Virgo wheels. 7 are straight and one that will need straightening along with 8 center caps and 20 correct lug nuts for what I feel is a reasonable $340.00. I need 4 new tires and finding 15" tires in more sizes should be easier than 14". I figure I will take the best 4 and have them powder coated and run them instead of the Corona wheels. Though I like the looks of the Corona style the Virgos just look a bit sportier in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-virgos-1.jpg   TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-virgos-2.jpg   TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-virgos-4.jpg   TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-virgos-5.jpg   TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-virgos-3.jpg  

Old 05-14-2018, 05:34 PM

I also scored an OEM "Green" fog light switch. I had been keeping my eye on one on EBay, but for $70.00 I didn't "need" it that badly. A random search today at work on EBay turned up the same switch for $21.00. Needless to say I grabbed it. Now I need to find some appropriate fog/driving lights.

Attached Thumbnails TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-volvo-green-fog-light-switch.jpg  
Old 05-14-2018, 05:40 PM

Next on my list is a large tachometer in place of the clock. I am bidding on one on EBay that includes the smaller clock, but am not sure what these normally sell for. The guy I bought the wheels off also has a gauge cluster with the tach, so if I am outbid on the EBay set I may settle for just a tach and find a clock in the future.

Attached Thumbnails TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-tach-clock-set.jpg  
Old 05-16-2018, 06:48 PM

Sometimes it's the small things that matter.

Attached Thumbnails TX to MA 1990 240 DL Chronical-dscn1514.jpg  
Old 10-22-2021, 10:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, where did you get the new rear parcel shelf plastic vent pieces? also do you need to remove the rear seat in order to get the rear head rests off? I have the same color Volvo 240 as you. Mine is 1992. Any info helps, thanks.

Old 10-23-2021, 05:36 AM

It's been a while, but I believe I ordered them from Tasca Volvo. Factory OEM Auto Parts & Accessories | TascaParts.com
They have an easy to search website and will ship.

The headrest come off without removing the back seat. There are 4 "tabs" in the trunk, 2 for each headrest. You have to pull out on the bottom of the 2 tabs while simultaneously pushing up on the headrest "pins". It is easiest with 2 people, one to release the 2 tabs and another to be inside the car pulling up on the headrest, but it can be done alone as I did.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by edgarisaacc
Hi, where did you get the new rear parcel shelf plastic vent pieces? also do you need to remove the rear seat in order to get the rear head rests off? I have the same color Volvo 240 as you. Mine is 1992. Any info helps, thanks.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:02 AM
Default Purchase Price?

[QUOTE=MSGGrunt;458328]For your reading enjoyment or boredom...

I am the owner of a 1991 wagon and love the car so much that I went on the hunt for a sedan. Being from Massachusetts my biggest concern was finding a rust free car. Well, peoples version of rust free I discovered is very different. I looked at several cars locally that just weren't what I was looking for. I wanted a 1 or 2 owner car, impeccable maintenance, zero rust, and with the lowest miles possible. My budget was not limited, but I was thinking $7000 would get me what I was looking for.

I searched Craigslist via Autotempest.com multiple times a day and kept telling myself to be patient that the right car would "find me". I found one car in Texas that was promising, but the honest owner said the car had been repainted and looked like it was a non windows out cheap re-spray. The seller was a retired Volvo mechanic that "freshens" these cars up as a hobby and sells them. Other than the re-spray the car was under 100,000 and seemed to be very well sorted mechanically. I just knew I would not be happy with a car that had a paint job where you could see imperfections when up close to it. Thank you for the seller and his honesty.

The search continued. I found a pristine 1992 5-speed in Maryland that ticked all of my requirements except for the low miles. The car had 220,000 and while I know the red block motors run forever if maintained properly, the rest of the car still had 220,000 miles on it and things wear just like any other car. I passed and continued to search.

Then, two Saturday's ago I was enjoying my morning coffee, I went through my morning ritual of searching Craigslist across the US and I came across a new add in Texas. By now I had become pretty familiar with the cars being sold on Craigslist and after reading the add and looking at the pictures I just got "a feeling" about the car. The add had been up for only 5 hours when I called the seller, chatted briefly and I committed to buying the car site unseen.

Craigslist reads as follows:
82500 Original Carfaxed Miles. Original Paint with No Nicks or Dents. Very Clean Inside and Out.

New Front Seat Cushions and Seat Covers Washed and Sun Dried. New Front Upper Strut Mounts. Synthetic Castrol Titanium Oil and Mann Filter 300 miles old. A/C just Serviced and Blowing Cold. A/C Compressor Running very Quiet on all Four Fan Speeds.

Recent Front and Rear Engine Main Seals. No leaks at all. Recent Timing Belt with Tensioner. No Cracked or even Chipped Windshield. No Rips or Stains on Seat Fabric. All Electric Windows and Locks Work as they should. New Rubber Floor Mats.

No Accidents and No Corrosion Anywhere. Michelin Tires on Classic Corona Aluminum Wheels.

This is an Iconic 28 year Young True survivor, far from the Ordinary, that should give Excellent Service with Economy and Safety for the Next 28 years with proper care and maintenance.

An Automobile Designed and Tested by Volvo Engineers to Save Lives.

Recent Texas Inspection and Registration in my name. Clean Texas Title in hand. Daily Driver.

The owner was an enthusiast who also owns a wagon. I wired him the money and made plans to fly to Texas and drive the car back to Massachusetts. Yes, 2400 miles on a site unseen, never test driven car. I was either the dumbest person on Earth, overly enthusiastic, or just put a lot of faith in the Volvo 240's dependable reputation.

The trip to pick up the car began at 4:30AM on a Friday morning to catch a flight that left out of Hartford, CT at 6:30AM. I arrived in Laredo, Texas at 2:30PM where the seller picked me up at the airport. We drove the 10 minutes to his house where I saw the car for the first time. It was as nice or nicer than advertised. I gave it a quick once over, put my MA plates on and I was away on a 2400 mile road trip without even so much as taking the car around the block. Again, a huge leap of faith. I headed out of Laredo and headed North towards Houston. My plans called for driving to Houston, across Louisiana on I-10 then head North through Mississippi and Alabama, on I-59, I-75 across Tennessee, I-81 through Virginia and Pennsylvania and eventually I-78 in New York and home.

The car was driving nicely. The AC was working properly and I was settling into the car and getting to know it. There wasn't much else to do between Laredo and Houston after-all. My first observation was the windshield wipers were no match for the thousands of yellow moths/butterflies that met their demise on my windshield. Note to self, on long road trips a windshield squeegee is a necessity. I did notice a bit of a front end shake at speed and knew I would not drive 2400 miles without having it looked at. I was assuming it would be cured with a simple re-balancing of the tires. Or that was my hope anyway.

I stopped for the first night in Wharton, TX and planned on finding a tire store the next morning to have the front end shake addressed. I got on the road at 4:30ish and arrived in Beaumont, TX just at the time everything was opening. This is where my morning got a bit stressful. My first stop out of ease was Walmart, but their compressor was down so no tire work. My second stop a few miles away was the Goodyear store where I discovered, as I kind of had assumed, that the tires were manufactured in 2010, so being 8 years old I decided to just replace them. Well, 14" tires are not as easy to come by as they probably were in the 1990's. Goodyear had none in stock. Luckily Discount Tire literally right next door had 4 Continentals in stock and I was soon back on the road. No more shake and the car drove like a dream anywhere between 80 and 85 MPH. I continued to check the oil and coolant at every fuel stop and not a single issue. I got off the road around 8:30PM calling it a night in Cleveland, Tennessee. A hot shower and bed would feel great after a long day and many miles. Up on Sunday and back on the road at 4:30AM for the last leg of my trip. GPS calculated this leg at 980 miles taking around 15 to 16 hours. This was going to be a long push. Other than having to divert East towards DC to avoid emergency bridge construction on I-81 the trip was uneventful. Traffic in the DC, NJ, and NY areas was heavy on Easter Sunday, but I pulled into my driveway around 9:00PM that night.

The car performed flawlessly. The road trip was an experience, but it would have been nice to have a travel partner and maybe take twice as long and see some sights along the way. I have had the car home a day and am already addressing some small, mostly cosmetic issues with the car that I will cover in my next post.

Ur budget was $7000.

I was interested in the story, but need to know listing price & price paid.

Surprised this info was missing.

Old 10-24-2021, 08:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
It's been a while, but I believe I ordered them from Tasca Volvo. Factory OEM Auto Parts & Accessories | TascaParts.com
They have an easy to search website and will ship.

The headrest come off without removing the back seat. There are 4 "tabs" in the trunk, 2 for each headrest. You have to pull out on the bottom of the 2 tabs while simultaneously pushing up on the headrest "pins". It is easiest with 2 people, one to release the 2 tabs and another to be inside the car pulling up on the headrest, but it can be done alone as I did.

Hope this helps.

This helps! Thank you. I am new to the Volvo forum!! Happy to be here.