Volvo 240 1988 Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 240 1988 Bleeding

Hey all, So I just got a new transmission mount put on and it helped a ton with the vibration/clunking that the car was experiencing. Now I've got a few new concerns. One is a transmission fluid leak just behind the transmission fluid pan that seems to be dripping right onto the transmission mount.

The 2nd leak seems to be right before the transmission pan and behind the engine. It is leaking engine oil. RMS? I hope not.

Any ideas on what seals/other is causing these leaks?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These leaks are common in older cars. At some point, a judgement call has to be made as to the severity of the leak(s) versus the expense of curing them. The transmission pan gasket, if that's what is leaking, is a relatively simple inexpensive repair. The oil leak may either be the rear main seal or the oil pan gasket where it meets the rear main seal carrier gasket. Regardless...not an easy or cheap fix. Realistically, one fixes that which one can and keeps the issues to a minimum. It makes little sense to spend 4k on a 500 dollar car, for example.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swiftjustice44
These leaks are common in older cars. At some point, a judgement call has to be made as to the severity of the leak(s) versus the expense of curing them. The transmission pan gasket, if that's what is leaking, is a relatively simple inexpensive repair. The oil leak may either be the rear main seal or the oil pan gasket where it meets the rear main seal carrier gasket. Regardless...not an easy or cheap fix. Realistically, one fixes that which one can and keeps the issues to a minimum. It makes little sense to spend 4k on a 500 dollar car, for example.
Totally agree, I'll take a closer look at some point but the leaks aren't terrible, just annoying. It's not the tranny pan gasket, I just replaced that and it's holding just fine. I'm just hoping the landlord doesn't mind the extra oil on his driveway. hopefully some additives and some thicker oil will help the situation a little.

Also, the rear leak (the one behind the tranny pan) is coming from somewhere above the pan unfortunately and appears to be leaking right on top of the tranny mount. Probably why the mount I just replaced was bulged up to the size of a walrus and torn in half. It was really easy to replace that tranny mount though. If I'm taking the driveshaft off for a center bearing, is there a seal back there that i could get to easily and replace? Would be nice to knock two birds out.

Last edited by zloetakoe; 04-04-2011 at 09:21 PM.